Lobster Mini Season

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brian, if he had done a copy/paste from the link he posted, rather than actually typing that, it may have been a wee bit more correct! :rofl3:

And Chip is right, there are absolutely NO lobsters off Broward County. Nada. Zip. Zilch. So y'all best be going up to Palm Beach County or down to Miami Dade. Nothing to see here, folks. Move along now. :laughing:

And Chip is right, there are absolutely NO lobsters off Broward County. Nada. Zip. Zilch. So y'all best be going up to Palm Beach County or down to Miami Dade. Nothing to see here, folks. Move along now. :laughing:

Actually, all the lobsters have moved to Monroe County so that's the place to go :wink:

Brian, I think that since Palm Beach County is the only place where you could take 12 lobsters, they have been TOTALLY fished out up there, so the only place where there are any lobsters left at all is Monroe County! [/sarcasm]

:rofl3:

Brian, I think that since Palm Beach County is the only place where you could take 12 lobsters, they have been TOTALLY fished out up there, so the only place where there are any lobsters left at all is Monroe County! [/sarcasm]

:rofl3:

That's it, you've nailed it squarely on the head :)

We're both going to need some of this if we continue :D

::wonders if the County mail-order scrip plan covers that::

I can tell you that I personnally went out Sunday just to check, and Palm Beach County is void of lobsters. I think since it has already been confirmed that Broward is also void of the spiny devils, that the best bet would be Monroe. Enjoy the ride on the beautiful, uncongested highway South of Florida City! :lol:

Thanks Capt. Shane but I still don't get what the difference is. There's a two day season in monroe county where the bag limit is 6/day, then there's August through
March where there's a bag limit of 6/day. What's the big deal with the mini season? Are you allowed to take in the National Marine Sancturary? Are there areas that are off limits during the regular season that are open during the mini season? Is it just that it's a two day season ahead of the regular season so there's gonna be more lobsters? Just wondering what the fuss is. Thanks.

We can get 12/day everywhere EXCEPT Monroe County for those two days and yes, you are correct, it goes to six everywhere from August 6-March 31. People have a perception that they will do better on mini-season because nobody's been bugging for nearly four months. The areas that are off limits do not change in or out of season.

The "big fuss" is that we have not been able to grab those tasty crustaceans since March 31, and for many of us, it is tons of fun to play hooky from work in the middle of the week and have some fun underwater. To me, it is every bit as much fun as Thanksgiving or the Fourth of July; it's an annual event that I celebrate with my friends.

Awwwww, never mind. As they say, if you had to ask, you wouldn't understand. :shakehead:

as stated in a previous thread, there is also a 6 per person/day limit in biscayne national park during mini-season. also, the waters within the boundaries of pennekamp coral reef state park are closed during mini-season but open(numerous closed areas year round) for the regular season,,,,

http://floridakeys.noaa.gov/lobster2008.pdf

reefman
key largo

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom