Bungee cord mounting an SK7

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swinchen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So I got my SK7 all mounted into a DSS compass boot, but I am nto really sure how to run the bungee through the mounting holes. It mentions turning the compass window toward the diver... If wearing on my right arm, does this mean it turns it towards my wrist or forearm? If I thread it up like the instructions show it seems like it turns the window toward my wrist. That seems un-natural. I am sure I will like this boot once I get it configured...

Thanks,
Sam

The compass is usually worn on the left arm. If you want to configure it for the right, everything will be a mirror image.

Notice that there are three sets of holes at each of the four mounting points. I'll follow the convention of numbering the holes with one at the top, the compass oriented with the side window at 6 o'clock). Thread the bungee as follows: (remember, this is for the left wrist)

Upper left: holes 2 and 3
Lower left: holes 1 and 3
Upper right: holes 1 and 3
Lower right: holes 1 and 2

This arrangement aligns the compass along the axis of the arm.

The right (wrist) loop is smaller than the left (arm) loop.

Knot or zip tie (3) the ends together after cauterizing. Stuff into the slots in back.

Here are some pics of mine:

The window should be on the "inside" of your arm. My understanding is the angle adjustment just rotates it a little bit "counterclockwise" (if it's on your right arm) so you can see it without having to put your arm completely across in front of you.

Confused yet?

Ahh, ok... so the cords don't cross eachother. That might be where I was going wrong.

Could someone please post a picture of the underside of the mount. I am not quite sure of the path of the cord.

I also find it strange that the compass is usually worn on the left arm. I sort of reserve that arm for the LPI. And I want to wear my compass and computer next to each other so I can see all the info in one place. I am still in the experimental stage of my setup....

I guess I could wear them on my left arm. That makes it one busy arm.

I have my bungee crossed similar to the way it looks in the instructuion sheet that came with the mount. I'll try to remember to take a pic of it when I get home. As far as which arm, compass on the left, computer on the right because during a horizontal ascent your left arm is behind you dumping gas via the opv. If your comp was on the left arm you wouldn't be able to see it.

Could someone please post a picture of the underside of the mount. I am not quite sure of the path of the cord.

The following is a picture of the underside of the mounting with the bungee cord from the Dive Rite site for your references.:D

Compass

IMG_2525.jpg

The window is facing down (6 o'clock).

Re: Left wrist - As bryanmc57 noted above, the left hand controls buoyancy, whether opv or inflator. When ascending, you need to watch your depth/time, not compass direction.

Tip: Watch the bezel ring on the SK7. It can easily pop off, especially when getting out of your gear. They're cheap and replaceable, but not always easy to find. I've lost one that way. I like to turn my wrist mounted instruments inward when not in use to prevent this.

Last edited:
ahh, now it all starts to make sense
thanks everybody. now I just need my mount to arrive

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom