DIR in North Carolina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AK47Diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm currently in Michigan and contemplating a move to NC.

As such I'm going to be in NC for a week in June, likely around the Durham/Raleigh/Chapel Hill area.

How is the diving in the area, are there quarries or local lakes nearby for practice, and are there any groups of DIR divers around?

I will probably get a chance to dive a bit during that week and hopefully get out to beaufort for an ocean wreck dive or two.

Any info would be most welcome.

Look up Brent (Hunter991 on SB) and send him a PM. He's in Gastonia, and a really nice guy. He can probably advise even if nothing else.

Tom

Several quarries in the RDU area and of course the ocean but I am unaware of any DIR divers....there are plenty of very good tech divers but none that I am aware of that would call themselves DIR. You are welcome to join any of us (I am not a tech diver but on occasion dive with them) at the quarry any time. There are no shops in the RDU are that cater to DIR but one in particular does carry a lot of tech equipment and has a fairly active group of tech divers but again, none of them that I am aware of call themselves DIR. There are a good many of us, including myself, who have some GUE training but choose not the tack on the "DIR" on to our diving style.

Several quarries in the RDU area and of course the ocean but I am unaware of any DIR divers....there are plenty of very good tech divers but none that I am aware of that would call themselves DIR. You are welcome to join any of us (I am not a tech diver but on occasion dive with them) at the quarry any time. There are no shops in the RDU are that cater to DIR but one in particular does carry a lot of tech equipment and has a fairly active group of tech divers but again, none of them that I am aware of call themselves DIR. There are a good many of us, including myself, who have some GUE training but choose not the tack on the "DIR" on to our diving style.

Did you miss me, Jason, and Bob B? :11: :wink:

Fantasy Lake is going to be your best bet. Usually we are out there on the weekends and you are more than welcome to join us! :)

Thanks for all the info. I looked at Fantasy Lake and it looks very good (Diving all year round and no ice -- must be heaven). I'll have to give it a go when I get into town.

I hope I didn't rub anybody the wrong way. I'm so far a recreational only diver (rec pass) that will hopefully transition to doubles shortly once I get a few bugs worked out -- so I certainly do not claim to be better than any other diver out there, but I do like the DIR philosophy and system of diving.

I'll likely PM people with questions so I don't clog the board.

Thanks for all the advise, its appreciated.

No problem. No friction here, the NC divers are about as laid back as they come. I had forgetten SB was DIR but was not aware that the other 2 refer to themselves as DIR...fact is they were the first 2 tech divers the came to mind when I refered to "plenty of very good tech divers".
Check out the link at the bottom of my sig and come dive with us. DIR or not- doesn't matter, you will not find a better group to dive with.....although the BS does get thick sometimes. :)

.although the BS does get thick sometimes. :)
Agreed! :eyebrow:
Herman, Jason and Bob were my two buddies in GUE-F! :D I believe they are possibly considering some further GUE training at some point in the future but I wouldn't quote me on it. I will probably pursue further GUE training but it might be a few years down the road.

AK47Diver -- don't get your hopes up. By then the vis will have decreased a good bit. Still, it's a good place to practice skills and get wet. If you're going to be in town for a bit, book a charter with someone out of Wilmington or Morehead City. Aquatic Safaris is a nice outfit out of Wilmington. Sometimes weather for offshore diving in NC can be hit or miss; it is generally best to book several days and hope you get some of them.

Based on a chart that I came up with, it looks like you can expect temps anywhere from 65ºF to 75ºF at Fantasy Lake in June.

FL_temp.png

I finally will be in North Carolina next week.

I'll be arriving in the RDU area on the 29th and in the area through July 3.

By any chance are there divers going to Fantasy Lake or some other dive site after work during the week or such that wouldn't mind me tagging along for a dive?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom