Halcyon BP/W question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Veritas3586

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Has anyone used the new "small" Halcyon backplate? I am wondering if I should be considering the smaller size. I am 5'8". Also, how does one decide if the AL or SS backplate is appropriate. I will generally be diving a single tank in a 7mm wetsuit, but sometimes in a 3mm in fresh water. I normally wear 16-18 lbs in the 7mm and about 10 lbs in the 3mm. Thanks.

Might as well do SS. It'll take the extra weight off your belt. If you're diving doubles in a wetsuit (a whole different story), I would reccomend AL.

at 5'8" i dont think you would need the small. just go with the regular bp

I called Halcyon directly for this same question - I am 5'7". I was told that the small backplate is for someone 5'3" or smaller. I ordered the standard backplate and it works fine for me

Sean

Thanks for the replies. When I am in a 3mm wetsuit, I only wear 10 lbs. If the SS backplate is 6 lbs negative (I assume this includes any inherent buoyancy in the wing), then I will only have 4 lbs ditchable. This seems like a problem. Is the AL backplate negative? Thanks.

Why do you see having only 4 lbs ditchable as a problem? Ditching 4 lbs at the surface should be enough to make you pretty good and positive, which is the purpose of ditching weights.

One of the nice things about a BP/W setup is that it moves weight up onto your back, which makes a horizontal (and efficient) swimming position easier to accomplish and maintain. I would only go to an aluminum backplate if your trim with a steel one is head-heavy, or if using a steel plate makes you negative with no additional weight.

For the ditchable weights, would you suggest the Active Control Ballast or similar? Can you choose the amount of weight that you put in them, or are they fixed at 6/10 lbs each? Even two 6 lb pockets would be too much for me in a 3mm.

I guess 4 lbs would be enough to make me buoyant at the surface. It just seems like it would leave the equipment pretty heavy and difficult to swim up in the event of a wing failure at depth.

You could swim up at a SS plate and even a steel tank at depth if you needed to. With a SS plate and an AL tank, that would be even easier. You'll find in the technical world (specifically DIR; not saying you are going to go there, just providing some reference), you'll find that many people suggest a 'balanced rig,' and many people don't have to use any additional weight. It depends on your combo. What I mean is that I could swim my rig up in the event of a wing failure at depth (AL plate, steel tank, can light, etc.). With a 3mm I use 4 pounds (without a can light), 1 pound in each pocket (AL 80 tank). With a steel 95 and my can light, I use 5 pounds on my waist only.

I would go with the SS plate for your combination. You wont need all that extra weight on a weight belt, and you could have a buoyant rig at the surface in the event of a wing failure by dumping weights.

As far as the ACB thing goes, I'd get yourself a normal weight belt. I bought 4 XS Scuba slide-on weight pockets (NOT the quick release version). Using 4 triglides, I put one on each side of my hips on a normal weight belt. The other two went on the top cam band for trim weight. I use a an AL plate, so you may or may not need the trim weight on top. Keep in mind that this is what works for me (and I love it), so it may not work perfectly for you. Your mileage may vary!

The Active Control Ballast pockets work great. They are simple velcro closed pockets retained by Fastex buckles. You can put as much or as little weight in them as you like. You can use hard or soft weights, or even stones if you like.

I found the large size to be too big for the small amount of weight I need with a SS Plate and +6 STA. I only need about 3lbs/side with an aluminum tank, and none with a steel HP100.

Go with the SS plate. Diving dry, I've got an SS plate, 6# weighted STA, and two 4# weights on my belt in the small DiveRite weight pockets for a total of 8# dumpable. I went with them because the small pockets are oriented vertically and are narrow. I have them slid back against the BP on either side and retained by triglide/Drings. An interesting byproduct is that with a steel tank (HP100, HP120), I float on my back with my wing inflated. Even without dumping the 8#, I can swim the rig up from depth and tread water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom