hilton head island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

davidrr

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
newly certified diver looking for a good dive shop and site around the island ? how is the diving around the island ?

Good evening,
The closest diving to HHI is either Charleston or Savannah.
The water is too shallow and dark ot dive close to the island. I dove in both Savannah and Charleston and had to go about 20 miles off shore to dive.

Jim Breslin

And the closest diveshop is in Savannah, the HH diveshop closed sometime in the 90's...

Post moved to Deep Dixie for more visibility....

Last edited:
The coast here as mentioned is a bit shallow. Add in limited viz and finding good dive sites requires some local knowledge. (So using a diver/charter fishing captain like Mike will go a long way.) That said, this is also a virgin ground for in many aspects as the sites are not being hammered with a million divers. Sometimes viz is pretty good too. Savannah has some good dive shops, but I just decided to get my own compressor for tank fills as gas prices are too steep to keep driving round trip. That also affects pricing on going offshore, but there are some good sites within 10 miles, although shallow.

Anyhow, I had a level 3 cervical disectomy in May and have had to sit out diving won't be able to go until the end of July. Kinda sucks. But the Titanium plate they put in should help my trim. :)

My own interest is turning towards locating wrecks in the area. Hard to find, scoured by sand, but they are there.

Vance,
How much do you charge for fills :) Let me know when you want to get back in the water. I haven't done much but the few weekends we've been able to go have been pretty good.

Vance,
How much do you charge for fills :)

No charge. Free fills! But it will probably be the end of August before it is ready as I have to get some Hopcalite/AC. etc. for the filters and hopefully can find some big tanks for a cascade. (Can fill direct but I do want to get a bank.)

I have tested it and run it up to 3700 psi output, seems to be in good working order overall. Drove to Pensacola to pick it up, got a quick dive in at Destin Jetties. Still shaking the sand out from that one

I find out on the 14th how well the bone is fusing in my neck. Once that is given the OK I am definitly ready to dive again. Thank God for modern medicine. I was in major pain from December 'til May when they went in and sliced and diced.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom