Curacao Trip Report (6/14-6/24)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StephM

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We've just returned from 10 days in Curacao – it was a perfect vacation :)

We stayed in Westpunt. As a couple who both dive and weren’t as interested in non-diving activities, we preferred the west end (we stayed near Willemstad our last trip there). I had been worried that it would be really hot in June but we were pleasantly surprised – there is a great wind that keeps you cool and blows the mosquitoes away (mostly!) The water temp was 81. Even so – after 10 days of diving in a 5 mil I was really cold, I may need a dry suit to dive the Caribbean :shakehead:

We stayed at Sunshine and David's apartment and loved it. It’s a 3 bedroom apartment with a kitchenette, living room and porch. The apartment is beautiful, Sunshine and David are fantastic, the pups and kitties made it feel like home, and the food is great! An added bonus was meeting people there on the weekends – we met the Ocean Encounters West crew there our first night and then met 2 great scubaboarders we got to dive and hang out with. We’ll definitely be staying there again!

Sol Food on the weekends is the best deal around. We loved the pizza, fish, crab cakes and more... The sangria was memorable too - I liked both Sunshine and Andreas's recipes :D We had 2 dinners at the Kura Hulanda Lodge. The food there was very good. We also went to a bar-b-que at Lagun on Thursday night that we really enjoyed. Lunch was often at the beach - Playa Kalki and Porto Maria both have snack bars. We enjoyed having a kitchen so we could do breakfast and some lunches on our own.

Diving: I have nothing to compare Curacao to – I’ve only ever been diving there. On this trip we did our first boat dive, deep dive and night dive. Every dive we did was gorgeous and the corals are stunning. Since we’re new, we decided to do our AOW course. We dove with Ocean Encounters West which is just down the street from the apartment. It was a great experience. After doing our peak buoyancy, navigation and deep dive classes we felt much more confident about going out just the two of us.

We did 16 dives. All our guided dives were with OEW (or David!). We were very impressed with OEW - everyone we met was great – very professional and also a lot of fun. They all love to dive and their enthusiasm comes through - I highly recommend them!

We did 3 afternoon and 1 morning boat dive with OEW. There were never more than 12 divers on the boat - comfortable and not crowded. We went to Watamula (amazing corals, mild drift dive); Shipwreck off of Playa Kalki (a shallow wreck dive); Blue Hole/Mushroom Forest (cave and great corals again); and Redheo and Jeremy (we saw a monster-sized lobster - okay, but it Was really big).

I would definitely recommend renting a car – you really need one on the west end and we enjoyed the freedom of being able to dive on our own. Shore dives included Alice in Wonderland, the OEW house reef. The facilities are really nice. We got to see both sea horses! Playa Lagun was a perfect night dive (thank you David!) followed by dinner at the bar-b-que. We saw a spotted eagle ray in the night in 8 feet of water. Porto Marie has a dive shop, a nice beach and snack bar/restaurant. The reef is circular, you need at least 2 dives to see it, it was more interesting diving to the right side we thought. Shoena Mosa is a pretty shore dive off a small secluded beach. Cas Abou is a private beach with a $6 entry fee. Lots of kids on the beach, they had a water trampoline. There is a dive shop and a snack bar. You can take a shuttle boat over to an entry point and swim the dive back to the beach.

I'm not comfortable enough to try photography yet...but UnderwaterBumbleBee has some great photos in her report of many of the same sites that went to. I think your photos are great!!

The 10 days flew by way to quickly and there is much more to see…we’ll be heading back for sure!

Phew. That was long!

Thanks for the great report, StephM! I'll be there in August and I'm really looking forward to diving those sites.

Mike

Steph- I'm kind of thinking about November or December for heading back already! We'll see how I can work on Chris! We just didn't get to explore all the beaches and more of the diving in Westpunt area. What a great trip it was!

Hmmmm.... Let me know if you guys decide to head back - maybe I could talk Martin into another 2008 dive trip :D

Steph - Do you think Sunshine would mind making 3 Turkeys?:rofl3: The amount of pizzas she had to make that one day...

Seriously though (ignoring above comments from my husband) I really want to go back and if we can get the airfare right, sometime in November or over Thanksgiving week would be great! My B-day is that day before Thanksgiving, sounds like a nice trip to me! I really can't stop thinking about going back!

Now thats the kind of report that I like to read. Upbeat, enthusiastic, excited!
I truly enjoy the diving in Curacao. OEW is an excellent dive op, and the entire Westpunt area is tops in my book for a relaxing dive vacation.

Congrats on your AOW cert!

Maybe we'll see you all down there next time!

Hey Bubblebee, With the new oven we can make 4 turkeys! maybe we could run a special on turkey sandwiches or even turkey pizza? little chunks of potato and cranberry with lots of turkey MMMM
Ok that's enough from me I wouldn't want to get caught playing on Scuba board while Sunsh is off working!!
Cheers! David

Thanks, Steph, great trip report! We also had a fantastic time staying at http://www.curacaosunshine.com/ David & Sunshine are great hosts, fabulous chefs, and wonderful dive buddies and guides. I cannnot think of a better place to stay in Curacao for people who are primarily interested in diving.

ps, David, when did you get the new oven? It will not be long before you start delivering your delicious pizzas :)

And http://www.oceanencounterswest.com/ is an outstanding dive shop with educated and entertaining DMs, safe, comfortable boats, and great dive sites within 3 to 15 mins from their dock, not to mention their own "Alice in Wonderland" house reef.

Steph, hope you post a photo link. Safe diving, alashas http://honeymoon2.smugmug.com/

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom