Rescue Class Requirements

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree, the rescue program is not a professional program, so folks can be passed who will never be a divemaster or instructor in the future.

It is very sad that the true professional classes (ACLS,BLS) are also sooooo watered down, that a provider currently certified might not really know much. I have written and called the AHA concerning this, and they really don't give a darn. More certification, more money for them.

Physically demanding. Especially when the guy playing the "panicked victim" is a 7 foot Greek (slight exaggeration) who'll try to drown you if you err.

Learned a lot. Great fun. Great course!

I highly recommend adding a rescue mask w/strap to your scuba BCD pocket. it really makes in water rescue breathing MUCH easier. Even though I would take the filter and the 1-way valve off and just use the mask, getting a seal simple and quick.

Overall the class is very good, do your reading before hand, then think though the problem, remember, "Slow is Fast and Smooth is Slow" , rushing through the problems will just tire you out and you'll still have to complete the problem

I agree, the rescue program is not a professional program, so folks can be passed who will never be a divemaster or instructor in the future.

It is very sad that the true professional classes (ACLS,BLS) are also sooooo watered down, that a provider currently certified might not really know much. I have written and called the AHA concerning this, and they really don't give a darn. More certification, more money for them.

Doesn't surprise me. The AHA generally seems like they could care less about the quality of their classes, although unfortunately, it's my understanding that the BCLS is still slightly more in-depth than the EFR course. I think it depends more on the individual though than the class, for both Rescue and BCLS.

My thoughts on my Rescue class and a person in it have already been stated. As far as my BCLS class goes, I took it with 3 other people...one was an EMT student like me who did the chest compressions and everything fine. The other two were nurses recertifying and they did everything in the course so poorly (and yet were passed) that I know they're going to take a life if they ever try to save it. Unfortunately, as Fisher stated, AHA just wants the money.

I did my rescue course about 10 years ago...freaked out on the first rescue scenario and panicked - lost diver, snorkellers, sunbathers on a island, had to get everyone back on the boat, get others to assist, find diver, etc etc etc. Whew. But I learnt from it *breathe*

Next scenario was shored-based and I passed...my "victim" was a 6'6" guy who was not very light and quite difficult to swim to shore as an unconscious patient. Mind you, I'd eaten garlic for lunch so the mouth-to-mouth was my revenge :D

I just did my rescue last week. It tired me out but I learned a lot and it will make me a better diver. My instructor challenged us not only to use our skills but also how really important it is to stop, breathe and think.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom