Shore diving Michigan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Busdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Good morning and continued happy holidays,

My dive buddies and I are looking to hop in the bus and do some "safari" diving. We are looking at leaving the Detroit area and driving west. We will camp somewhere on the Lake Michigan in the Muskegon area. So, any suggestions? We want to hit a few inland lakes (probably off of 94), then we want to shore dive Lake Michigan. I am using michiganshipwrecks.org as a reference and the Chris Khrol book. However I am looking for folks to say, "darn this is the spot!" We are looking on doing this in two weeks. You are welcome to join the caravan. Keep in mind the old VW does not move that quickly. Makes a nice dive hq though.

PM if you would like.

The list is not yet started but I am going to lobby for the Salvo at lunch today.

Thanks,

Bus

Other than the Henry Cort which is either a long swim or walk out the North Muskegon breakwall, there isn't any "shore" diving in Muskegon. There are a couple of places in Muskegon Lake that people dive from shore but I don't see the reason.

Check with Tim at Advance Scuba as he does charters out of Muskegon sometimes and may be doing them the weekend you are coming.

For everyone's information, there really isn't any shore diving in West Michigan on Lake Michigan. I guess there are a few sites that people dive but I'm not sure they're worth driving here for.

Oh, I just remembered that there is the Daisy Day or something like that too, I haven't dove it but I think it is a shore dive. Check MSRA's site for details on that one.

The Daisy Day is mostly covered in sand this year. You can see the bow frammes, centerboard trunk, and the transom sticking out of the sand about 1 foot. It is a better snorkel dive.
When are you going to be in Muskegon?

We will be setting up shop the night of the 18th. Planned first dive will be about 6 am on the 19th.

What I am confused about is the posts that there are nice dives like the salvo from shore and the sand docks. Then folks state there is no shore diving. Which one is it? I dive the St. Clair River a lot. It is not bad. It is not the Caymans, but it is getting wet. The purpose of journey is just to get wet in some new locals, meet some westside divers, and have fun.

Bus

The sand docks is a shore dive on Muskegon Lake. It is where the ships loaded sand from pigon hill. I have never dove this site but have seen divers dive it. The Salvo? if you mean Salvor, this is a good dive. It is 1/2 mile off shore. There is a chance I may be able to run you out to it. The Court is on the north breakwall, you can dive the breakwall from shore. I like to snorkel dive the breakwall.
Are you camping at the Muskegon state park?

Why don't you drive to Tobemorey and you could shore dive at your convenience. Great shore diving, and not that far for you to travel.

Why don't you drive to Tobemorey and you could shore dive at your convenience. Great shore diving, and not that far for you to travel.

We have. It is wonderful. We will be doing it again in September. Looking for somethng new and want to meet new folks.

We are postponing our trip because one of the crew has to go to Atlanta. We will revisit the departure date when I return from Bermuda in early August. Thanks to everyone who has contacted me and offered to dive with us. I will take you up on those offers soon enough.

Back
Top Bottom