Suunto Vyper & Vytec?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We all have the responsibility to make our own decisions. Guys that get too cocky about their safety when diving are those that don't ever come back up on their own. You can use both for decompression dives, but in the manual it hints that you shouldn't do "planned deco" dives with it. Its more as an aid for when you screw up.

That simply is not Suunto's position per their own statements on their web page.

ALL decompression computers and dive planning software states that doing decompression dives are "not recommended."

Never mind that this is a cute fallacy; all dives are in fact decompression dives - for dives inside the NDL, you are just doing your decompression on the surface. It would be more accurate (and honest) to say that dives within an overhead, whether that overhead is a hard object or mandated by a decompression obligation, carry additional risk as the option of a direct surface ascent is not available if there is a failure of either equipment or human durnig the dive.

This is what VPlanner says on EVERY dive-planning screen:

********* WARNING & DISCLAIMER *********
This V-Planner generated dive schedule could indirectly kill you.
The author does not warrant that it accurately reflects the Varying
Permeability Model algorithms, that it won't get you bent or dead, or that it
will produce safe, reliable results. This dive schedule is experimental
and you use it at your own risk. Diving in general is fraught with
risk, and decompression diving adds significantly more risk.
Deep diving utilizing multiple gasses, including Helium, is about
as risky as it gets.

That does not change the fact that VPlanner is DESIGNED for decompression diving, just as Suunto says that their computers are "full decompression computers."

(This is in direct contrast to computers like the Genesis React, which give you what looks more like PADI's "oh darn I screwed up" type of recommendations on deco procedures if you exceed the NDL.)

I agree with Genesis on the defenition of a deco dive... but I think Suunto left out the planning features because they don't want you to use it as a planned deco dive computer.

The manual does have procedures for a deco dive mind you. But the warning in the front page clearly states that it should be used for commercial or tech diving. (This might be purely for legal purposes though)

And so far... the simulations are pretty good... I've tried depths of 170 and the computer does a pretty ok job of not freaking out too much... it gives you a slow deco ascent actually. You're supposed to rise REALLY slow, as much as your air will allow. And just follow the arrows on screen :p

I think the Vytec is an excellent computer. It bridges the gap between the mainstream computers, and the tech ones like the Nitek and VR3.

I'd say it was perfect for AOW, Basic and Advanced Nitrox divers. Trimix is out of the question. As are deep-sea divers.

Not that more advanced divers can't sue the Vytec... most tech divers I know don't even use a computer on tech dives...just a bottom timer.

I'm just saying that for the price (US$380 w/o transmitter) ... I'm very happy with the Vytec. I don't have any intentions of becoming a tech or commercial diver... so I know this computer can keep up with me for quite a long time :)

*For those of you wondering... I bought it from a LDS here in the Philippines... authorized Suunto dealer... yes I know it's a good price for the Vytec...that's why I got it over the Vyper! :)

Oh, question to Vytec users... is there a way for me to remove the clear protective cover for cleaning? I'm worried about water spots forming..or salt water getting trapped between the lens and protective cover.

No big deal - its only held in with tension. Just be careful so you don't crack it (if you do a replacement is only a few bucks)

jplacson once bubbled...
Oh, question to Vytec users... is there a way for me to remove the clear protective cover for cleaning? I'm worried about water spots forming..or salt water getting trapped between the lens and protective cover.

Just a tip: after you remove the protective cover, get a piece of broad, clear sellotape. Cut it exactly in the size of your computer's lcd display and genlty put it there. Try to avoid air bubbles. Now you can replace the clear protective cover. The sellotape will stay there for a long time.

This is also a good option for any computer, compass or gauge that doesn't have any protective cover (or it got lost), and you want to avoid scratches on it.

Oh, on that note... PDA screen protectors should work perfectly! Brandos allow you to remove and wash them should they become soiled and Brandos have no bubble problems.

Martin Field Overlays should be equally good as well... if not better. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom