Why DIN Valves??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are many reasons as I'm sure everyone here will tell you but the big one for me personally is that DIN valves capture the tank o-ring and therefore prevents the "burst o-ring situation" that happens sometimes to yoke valves. There are other reasons but that one is enough for me. As a side note, more and more tank valves can be purchased with a yoke/DIN adapter that can be screwed in/out with a allen wrench so you don't have to throw away all your old yoke regs.

My girlfirend recently did here OW course and had a blown O-ring. Looking at buying my own equipment in the near future I might invest in DIN regulators.

14_BlownOring.jpg

WOW. Intense picture there.... My nightmare!!

Thanks for all the input everyone. Its nice to have such a resource at your fingertips.

a new regulator and am debating DIN fittings VS traditional yoke…. I am under the impression that DIN valves are more failsafe, and therefore more reliable then a standard yoke valve. Is this a correct assumption?? I know they can handle higher pressures and are better for HP cylinders, but are they safer to use then yoke???

Aside from all the other stuff mentioned here, one of the guys I dive with had a pressurized, turned off stage bottle with a yoke valve.

However the pressure leaked out and when attempting to turn it on, he accidentally unscrewed the regulator.

That was enough to convince me that having two very similar-feeling knobs with very different functions in the same area was a Bad Idea. Recently I switched all my regs to DIN, except for one that I saved for pool work and tropical vacations.

Terry

If you get DIN regs, one simple adapter and you can use them on Yoke tanks.
If you get Yoke regs, you can not use them on DIN tanks (unless they happen to be the 232 valves with an adapter which then adds ANOTHER O-ring....)

There's a good description of the various valves and fittings - with pictures - here

I like the way the DIN regulators look hooked up - nice and clean. I have yoke adapters for when I travel. There is a big allen on the DIN that you have to keep an eye on as if you twist the regulator when you loosen it.

DrDuktayp

Just look at the structure, DIN screw in a long way O ring totally buried in the guts of the valve,
Whereas Yoke has a thin rim of metal with embedded O ring, with a pressure screw in an indent holding it in place .Whack it !which is likely to stand the force and not get dislodge? My answer DIN. Yoke also presents a larger target to Whack.

DIN regs cannot be removed when under pressure, Yoke's can. That said, I bought my regs in Yoke because I was diving recreationally, then purchased DIN conversions once I wanted to do Tecnical diving, and purchased one DIN to Yoke for use on recreational k-valves. This system works well for me.

DIN regs cannot be removed when under pressure, Yoke's can. That said, I bought my regs in Yoke because I was diving recreationally, then purchased DIN conversions once I wanted to do Tecnical diving, and purchased one DIN to Yoke for use on recreational k-valves. This system works well for me.

And why do you need to remove a valve under pressure?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom