Preparing For PADI DM Training; 2 Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe, I dunno. She wanted to make sure that we could still do all of the skills at the end of the semester instead of barely dink by on something halfway through and then slack off so we could concentrate on another skill. I'm not gonna complain since I lost 25 lbs during the class.

Really, it is a test for humans, not an "elite club" standard. We did the water tread on one evening, the other three tests (swim, fin, tow) another evening in about 1-1/4 hours. Not that big of deal. BTW, I'm old, slow and "fluffy"--still not that big of a deal. Just do it & don't let your head get in the way.

A funny tale of my DM swim test. Mind you I will leave out numbers as it has been so so long since I did the test I do not remember the actual numbers
It was the one I was the most scared of as I am not a great long distance swimmer.
I had practiced and practiced with my daughter on the side calling out my lap times so I could get a feel of how hard I had to swim to reach the numbers I needed. The big day came and I was as pumped and prepped as I could be. I hit that water counting in my mind each lap so I knew where I was time wise and as I touched for my last turn I was smiling as I was way ahead of the max time score. As I turned two divemasters standing on the shore screamed at me that I had only 30 seconds to make the last length of the pool.
Now this shocked me as I was so sure I was not only over the minimum time I was near or at the max score time. My muscles ached and my legs hurt as I churned down that last length of the pool. My lungs were screaming as I swam as hard as I could while listening to them count down on the side, 10-9-8-7-6-5-4...TOUCH!!!
I made it with 4 seconds to spare.
Then I heard my wife say, "no wait, we were off 2 minutes. You had plenty of time" and everyone started laughing.
Murder is illegal in Texas so it was a good thing my arms and legs were so sore I could not get out of that pool.

The instructors at the local shop required all the stamina tests back to back with no breaks.

I had to do all on the same day with only 15 mins in between. I did the tread water first, then the 400 yd swim and then the 800 yd snorkel. If you are in a pool training you will notice a huge difference in the salt water - that frankly is what saved me, and also the fact I was training at a pool with 1200 feet elevation. Sea level was a breeze!

Back
Top Bottom