The Boynton Dive Chronicles (new and improved)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

<snip>
nurse-2.jpg

Just to mix it up a bit, here is a nurse shark...
<snip>

Oh sure, NOW a nurseshark sits pretty under a ledge just waiting for a photo op... :wink:

Great pics as always, Kevin!

Nice pics. Those lobster look yummy!

Thanks again for two great days. I'll have to come down and visit my friend more often, just so I can go diving in Boynton!

Yes, thanks again for a great weekend Kev & Alex!
I haven't looked at my pics yet, if there is anything worth sharing I'll post.
Hope to see ya this weekend.

Wow! I'm really getting excited for my trip coming up after seeing these pictures! Kev-anyone signing up for the afternoon dive on August 12th that I signed up for?

Last edited:
Okay! I'm sorry that I've been neglecting the thread, we've been diving our faces off over here. They're all starting to blur together, but I'll do the best I can.
Thursday we had calm seas, but the vis was not so hot... maybe 30'. The current was pleasant and to the north. We did four dives, but I don't remember exactly what they were, except that one of them was Castle Ledge (I can tell by the pictures). Anyway, I'm really excited, because I got a decent shot of one of the Pacific Sailfin Tangs (well, I cut off part of his tail, but I was able to get close enough to get all of the markings). I also found two octopi in one hole!

sailfin.jpg

The elusive sailfin tang. I've been trying to get a good picture of him for five years.

courtingcoronets-1.jpg

These coronetfish must have been getting ready to mate. The big one, I would guess, is the female. The three smaller ones I think are males, waiting to fertilize the eggs the female is bursting with. She had multiple cris-crossed scratches on her back, I don't know if they were related to the courtship behavior or not. I can tell you that the fish were quite patient with me, and that this was actually the third picture that I had taken of them. I also took a picture of the cris-crosses from above in case anyone is interested in seeing it, PM me.

snoozylhead.jpg

Still plenty of turtles around.
hbill.jpg

DMsnatchingeel.jpg

The giant spotted moray that snatches up DM's that become entangled in the flag line came very close to getting Wilhelmina.

twooctopae.jpg

I was quite surprized, while removing a shell from the hole to get a better picture, when the edge of the hole moved! Wow ! It was another octopus that I hadn't seen! See if you can find him.

Last edited:
hey! The water cleared up a little bit from Thursday, but still, the vis on the bottom was only about 40' or so. It was weird... there was blue water down to about 40', and then it was slightly colder (82º as opposed to 84º) murky, brown/green water. There were a couple of times during the dive that the thermocline felt much stronger, but they were fleeting. Anyway, again we had flat seas and pleasant north currents. I went back to the double octopus hole, but only found the big one at home.

Octopus-2.jpg

I got a better picture of the octopus, and I'm gonna try to get a really good one tomorrow.

sleepyporc.jpg

This sleepy porcupine fish would have been toast if Jenny was diving.

squid.jpg

A squid! There are lots of them right now.

morayclinic.jpg

This moray was having a pretty nasty looking gash cleaned up by two neon gobies.

huntingparty.jpg

This was really cool. I believe that this butter hamlet and this tiny purple mouthed moray were going hunting together. The hamlet was waiting right outside the hole, shuddering from time to time when the moray would stick his head out. This kind of behavior is common to see with conies or graysbies and goldentail morays. I've never noticed it with hamlets and purple mouths before. Then again I could be completely out of my gourd and they could have been about to battle to the death, who knows. I couldn't stick around to find out, I had to get back to the group (Wilhelmina was leading the dive).

cleangreen.jpg

This is the cleanest turtle I have ever seen in my life. He was scraping his shell on the rock while the fish ate the bugs off of him.

angelfishparty.jpg

An angelfish party!

eagleray.jpg

A spotted eagle ray! He circled me cautiously a few times, but I couldn't get close enough for a good shot. I saw another one on my safety stop... we've been seeing them fairly often.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom