Grand Cayman Tips/Advice???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GSODvr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
The wife and I are staying at Compass Point and diving with Ocean frontiers 9/26-10/3. First time visiting/diving in G.C. Any advice, tips, suggestions for a newbie...

Can we shore dive there?

Thanks,

Richard

I was wondering the same thing because my girl friend and I are planning a similar trip in mid november. Any help form the community would be great.
Thanks Drew

The wife and I are staying at Compass Point and diving with Ocean frontiers 9/26-10/3. First time visiting/diving in G.C. Any advice, tips, suggestions for a newbie...

Can we shore dive there?

Thanks,

Richard

I've not stayed at Compass Point (we own at The Reef a bit west from there), but we go to Cayman every year and have been diving with Ocean Frontiers for about ten years now. There's not much in the way of shore diving out EE, but the boat diving with OF is the best on island IMNSHO. When you check in be sure to tell Fraser that his favorite Air Traffic Controller and Trolly Dolly say hi. The folks at OF will show you some of the best diving that Cayman has to offer. Don't miss their Sting Ray City dive on friday - we do it every chance we get - it never gets old...

That said, should you want to take some time off from the boat dives and try some from shore, you should head out West Bay way and try Robert's/Turtle Farm Reef. It's a nice mini wall with quite a bit to see and is a nice change from the big walls out east.

If you have any specific questions and/or comments, feel free to PM me.

I agree with Daz. There ARE some shore dives in East End, such as Babylon, but the swim out is a relatively long one - in the case of Babylon, 350 - 400 yards. Ask the staff at OF about these.

Can we shore dive there?

Thanks,

Richard

Richard, my husband and I will be in GC on Sept 27-Oct 4 and have been told about Ocean Frontiers as well. We will be at Morritt's Tortuga Condos.
Lisa

Just got back from GC. It was spectacular! I will be posting a report later tonight.

Richard,

Good choice for a dive operator. We've dived with OF many times and they are superb. There's not too much shore diving around there, but they can give you some pointers on where to go. As always, for general Cayman advice, I refer folks to the Cayman Activity Guide (www.caymanactivityguide.com) where you'll find tons of info. OF doesn't currently advertise with the guide, so talking about OF is taboo on their forums. Still, you have one of the best dive operators anywhere so you just need to know about other activities.

DS

Richard, my husband and I will be in GC on Sept 27-Oct 4 and have been told about Ocean Frontiers as well. We will be at Morritt's Tortuga Condos.
Lisa
Lisa,

Maybe we can all get together...Wife and I met a lady from cuba Board in June @ Scuba Club Cozumel and I think she and her husband are going to try to make it to Cayman as well....

My wife and I will be at Compass Point in August from the 16th to 23rd. I will post a trip report while onsite and when we get back. We will be doing our check-out dives over there with OF.
Sounds great. Look forward to reading your reports....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom