Report from Brownstone Quarry - 7/20/08

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well if you are a newbie diver, you probably dont know were to go in the quarry and most likely will take the easiest rout as many divers before them did that day stirring up the vis.

Its a little premature to be hard on the quarry as a new diver who hasn't explored it good enough. A diver who dives there a lot can usually find an area of good vis but it takes some snorkeling and work.

The best dive to do as a new diver in a wet suit is to go around the perimeter of the west portion at about 20 ft max. Do it at night and you are in for an eel of a time. You do need good air consumption though and if you are in shape, don't smoke, and properly weighted, it can be done on a steel 72.

So, a friend of mine and I headed down to Brownstone Quarry in Portland CT yesterday and we were a little disappointed. She bashed the place on the ScubaToys forum, so I wanted to just tell you folks what happened.

Sorry to hear that you and your buddy were disappointed wih your dives. Quarry diving and ocean diving are distinctly different, but both can be enjoyable. Not every dive you do can make it to the top of your favorite list.

As others have pointed out, vis can vary in the quarry during different periods of the year. It can vary from a few feet to 40+ feet depending on time of year. (January usually has some great vis.) Also as you discovered, thermoclines can provide you with a pretty good temperature change. (THere isn't as much of a thermocline in the winter.:D) The "ice cream headache" usually goes away after a couple of minutes, but not everyone gets used to that. The drysuits a lot of us use don't prevent the headache, and don't prevent us from getting cold, they just allow us to dive longer before the cold wins out.

As new divers' the two of you would probably have benefitted from a dive site briefing or even a tour of the site by someone who was more familiar with what to see and expect. Don't ever be afraid to ask for more information. Most diver's would be more than happy to give you guidance.
After reading your buddy's post, it seems she is trying to talk people out of going there because SHE didn't enjoy HERSELF and have a good dive. Her experience is not the fault of the park, yet she is trying to steer people away from there. She's not being fair to herself, to you or other diver's that may be influenced by her post. We were all inexperienced divers once. The experience is built from all of the dives that we have done, not only the great dives, but also the dives that were more challenging, and/or less enjoyable.

The quarry is large enough where the diving and top side events don't affect each other in the water at all, the only thing common to the two sides of the quarry is about 5 feet of surface water depth along the length of where the looong dock divides the quarry. Activities are effectively taking place in two seperate bodies of water that share just the top few feet.

If/when you want to give quarry diving another chance, I'm sure you can find someone here to help you out.

while true, they can't control the vis or temp, perhaps if they hear this from the customer base, who knows what could happen. (BTW for those saying Zebra Mussels, I am pretty sure that transport of invasive species is not a good idea...and might be illegal?)

well I personally know that Frank, Ed, and even Sean want to hear feedback on the likes and dislikes of ppl who visit the quarry. There have been many many discussions on how to improve the vis and even the temps long term. And yes, it is illegal to transport invasive species across state lines.....but it has been mentioned. Brownstone has made an amazing transformation over the last 5 years and now already draws a solid group of divers and many hundreds of others daily who enjoy the surface activities. As already mentioned it's one of the best training facilities in the area and only getting better.

well I personally know that Frank, Ed, and even Sean want to hear feedback on the likes and dislikes of ppl who visit the quarry. There have been many many discussions on how to improve the vis and even the temps long term. And yes, it is illegal to transport invasive species across state lines.....but it has been mentioned. Brownstone has made an amazing transformation over the last 5 years and now already draws a solid group of divers and many hundreds of others daily who enjoy the surface activities. As already mentioned it's one of the best training facilities in the area and only getting better.

It's honestly not that bad aside from the cold. I realize now that the viz is either hit or miss...the day we were there was a miss. They already have carp, or so the website says, so there's not much they can really do aside from adding zebra muscles, which are illegal. I'll go back and give it another try, but probably with a different wet suit setup and someone who knows what the hell they're doing.

"And yes, it is illegal to transport invasive species across state lines.....but it has been mentioned."

Yes but if you gather them from the Twin Lakes in NW CT maybe there is a loophole there. I can just ask my boss tomorrow if its possible.

"And yes, it is illegal to transport invasive species across state lines.....but it has been mentioned."

Yes but if you gather them from the Twin Lakes in NW CT maybe there is a loophole there. I can just ask my boss tomorrow if its possible.

ScubaSaurus,

Do you work for the DEP? I have a neighbor who is involved with them...

Oh yes I work out of Old Lyme for the diadromous fish dept. Its been on heck of an adventure and some gruelling work electrofishing this week. The Twin Lake is probably the clearest lake in CT and Ide love to organize a dive trip up there. My concern is parking and entry point. Its also horse shoe shaped with 90ft cliffs. It seems interesting.

I agree with SaltyWater :). I personally was born and raised at the quarry as a diver and never thought of "bashing" it as the dive always differs depending on the season, day or what have you and the staff was always helpful. There are carp, catfish, bass, etc, etc. I've seen them all. The vis is a hit or miss at times and as I am a drysuit diver I probably fair better then a wetsuit diver. The deeper you go the clearer it becomes. The quarry is a great learning facility as well as a place to gather with friends to have a good time. There are several training docks to practice with lines running out to various boats, etc. This is a great place to learn how to handle different water temperatures and visability because diving in the salt water isn't all that pretty either. Try it again but this time with a new pair of eyes. Let's face it, it's New England and this is what we got!

Dive Safe!

Hello!

Sorry to hear your trip to the quarry was less than expected. Hey, with diving that happens sometimes...

I have trips to the shore when we called it without even getting in :shakehead:

I dive there every week.. we have a group of divers that get together [most] every wed night.

Meet between 6:00 - 6:30, get in the water for 7:00 'ish.. (I say 'ish 'cause we RARELY make it in on time :D [the "social" part of diving]). A few of us have setup a navigation course. If you want a challenge, try out your navigational skills on this course!! Low vis, LLLooonnngggggg legs for navigation, a very challenging course. Like others say, if you can dive here (and navigate w/in a few feet) than you can dive ANYWHERE!!

Afterwards, we cook out, eat, talk and generally socialize.. This is "the" best part of diving...

I know the quarry pretty well, but.. there are always new and intersting places.

Temps do drop below the thermocline, but they are workable. Many divers on wed nights dive w/ full 7mm wet stuits.

You (and others) are welcome to join our group on any night.. just last night we went down to Stonington. Better temps (60's) but the vis was 3' - 4'.. Still it was a GREAT dive with great people.

If clear warm water is your thing... not gonna find it in New England :no believe me, I have been looking.

Again, if you or anyone else would like to join us for an evening (Wed nights are only$10.00) then send me an e-mail [dennis.r.bosse(at)gmail(dot)com] with the subject of weekly diving.

Our shop, Scuba Shack, also hosts "drive & dive" events. These are free! Look at the web site and see where we are going. Pro's (dive masters & Instructors) are available for local briefings, guided dives, and general information. Also a great way to meet other local divers..

I believe there are dives to Kings Beach, and Jamestown coming up.. Also some boat trips are in the works.

Take Care,
Dive safe!

-Dennis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom