Older lens mount compatability

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With a D40X what is the magnification that AI lenses provide? N

The D40X has a DX (a/k/a APS-size) sensor so the so-called multiplication factor is 1.5x.

Do any have a full size sensor, 35MM equal? N

Yes. Nikon has the D3. It's about a $5k body though. Nikon calls this the "FX" sensor. Canon's 5D is a full-frame sensor as well - about $2300 for the body.

Pick the lenses you want to use, then get the body that meets your needs. The glass is the real investment in an SLR -- the bodies will be obsolete in 5 years, but it's probable that the lenses will still be in use for a long time to come.

With a D40X what is the magnification that AI lenses provide? N

btw... the D40x has been replaced (or been rebranded) as the the D60.

same body, same camera, just a few minor enhancements and it now comes default with a VR lens (18-55mm VR standard lens).

oh... of course they raised the price also... go figure...

Do any have a full size sensor, 35MM equal? N

Nikon just announced the D700. It's basically a D300 with a full size sensor. It lacks a couple of the high end features of the D3, but costs $3K instead of $5K.

Yes. Nikon has the D3. It's about a $5k body though. Nikon calls this the "FX" sensor. Canon's 5D is a full-frame sensor as well - about $2300 for the body.

Pick the lenses you want to use, then get the body that meets your needs. The glass is the real investment in an SLR -- the bodies will be obsolete in 5 years, but it's probable that the lenses will still be in use for a long time to come.

I already have quite a few Nikon lenses, AI types and some E Series types, obviously they need a full size sensor to operate correctly and make the use of a external meter easier if one does not have to convert F stops for the magnification factor. Oh well.

N

Nemrod, those lenses don't need a full-size sensor. They work fine with a crop sensor. The
problem will be that they won't autofocus and you have to shoot in manual mode, but you can
dial the exposure right in with the histogram. I just put a 50 mm E on my D70. Took fine a fine
picture of the mess on my dining room table, and the AF sensor would even tell me when it was
correctly manually focused (green dot comes on). With the crop sensor, it's effectively about an
75mm.

I already have quite a few Nikon lenses, AI types and some E Series types, obviously they need a full size sensor to operate correctly and make the use of a external meter easier if one does not have to convert F stops for the magnification factor. Oh well.
N

As far as I know, aperture isn't an issue when considering full-frame vs DX lenses.

As far as I know, aperture isn't an issue when considering full-frame vs DX lenses.

If the effective focal length is changed from full frame to "DX" size sensors then it must as well alter the effective F stops mathmaticaly. F8 on the apeture ring would not really represent F8 but something greater depending upon the magnification.

N

Back
Top Bottom