Jew Fish Shooting on Thunderbolt Wreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I apologize for singling you out. I just think it is hypocritical say it is sad to kill the poor Goliath Grouper and brag about killing a big snapper. The only reason most people don't kill golliaths is because it is against the law. (endangered species) I would almost bet that a 30 + pound snapper is a lot more rare that a Golliath in any size.
I was in the Keys over July 4th week and tried like hell to shoot some snapper but they were exceptionally skittish for some reason.
Good job on the big snapper. I am assuming it had to be a Cubera to get that big.:bang:

I apologize for singling you out. I just think it is hypocritical say it is sad to kill the poor Goliath Grouper and brag about killing a big snapper. The only reason most people don't kill golliaths is because it is against the law. (endangered species) I would almost bet that a 30 + pound snapper is a lot more rare that a Golliath in any size.
I was in the Keys over July 4th week and tried like hell to shoot some snapper but they were exceptionally skittish for some reason.
Good job on the big snapper. I am assuming it had to be a Cubera to get that big.:bang:

You would be correct. It was a cubera. Not to beat a dead horse my point is I think it is sad to take out something that is technically protected and not only that they just left it. That is what bothers me. We shoot what we need to eat and that is it. Truth be told, this cubera already had a spear injury so it was only a matter of time for him. Someone had gut shot him. Probably the boat that was there right before us that hauled up a Black when we arrived but I DO understand what you are saying and we can just agree to have different opinions on this. I am new to the board so I do feel like I need to defend myself.

The snapper were skittish. Our friend that lives down there seemed to think it was the norm in certain areas. He would say you go down and get one chance and if you mess it up, move on.

I am more of a rod and reel girl anyway:)

It seems obvious to me that they knew exactly what they were doing since they beat feet to get out of there after seeing you.

Real shame!!!!!

That's terrible! Sadly I can believe that someone would do this in this day and age, but that is awful! I'm sorry you had to see that!

Disgusting -

And you hear rumbling's - mostly from the hook and line community mad b/c they will occasionally take a hooked fish - to allow a "limited" goliath "harvest"

If that happens, look for the same sad state of affairs we have experienced with this fish up until the last few years - 10 years ago they were almost as rare as whale sharks (OK, a slight exaggeration) here. Now you have a good chance of seeing them on every dive.

... I can see the headline now "Treasure Coast Deputy Sheriff shot while trying to give unlawful spearfisherman a spanking." (Joke)....

A Treasure coast Deputy dealing out a beating is such a non-event it would not even make page 22 D ----:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom