Grand Cayman Tips/Advice???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, there is shore diving on GC. Sunset House and Eden Rock both have very good shore diving right in front of their shops. Both ops are near George Town, so you will need a rental to get there from the East End.

Yup, we're in, Richard. Happy to see you guys again!!! Look forward to meeting Indy and more nice folks too.

As always, for general Cayman advice, I refer folks to the Cayman Activity Guide (www.caymanactivityguide.com) where you'll find tons of info. OF doesn't currently advertise with the guide, so talking about OF is taboo on their forums.

True, but let me expand on that a bit. The Cayman Activity Guide Forum is intended as a place where posters say nice things about the Cayman businesses which pay to advertise in the Guide. Any positive comment about a non-advertiser is forbidden. Any negative comment about an advertiser is equally verboten. There is nothing devious in this - Joe S., who runs the Forum, makes his policy very clear up front. Some of the info there is helpful, but do not make the mistake of assuming this is an "objective" forum for comparing the pros & cons of various dive ops.

True, but let me expand on that a bit. The Cayman Activity Guide Forum is intended as a place where posters say nice things about the Cayman businesses which pay to advertise in the Guide. Any positive comment about a non-advertiser is forbidden. Any negative comment about an advertiser is equally verboten. There is nothing devious in this - Joe S., who runs the Forum, makes his policy very clear up front. Some of the info there is helpful, but do not make the mistake of assuming this is an "objective" forum for comparing the pros & cons of various dive ops.

It is a ridiculous forum in my view - anything that Joe doesn't like (even true, objective, constructive (& therefore helpful) comments or criticism) gets removed.

Lisa,

Maybe we can all get together...Wife and I met a lady from cuba Board in June @ Scuba Club Cozumel and I think she and her husband are going to try to make it to Cayman as well....

That would be awesome! I have sent an e-mail to Ocean Frontiers about diving with them as well. They have a package that really interests us. We should definately try to get together.

The mini wall off of the restaraunt by the turtle farm is a real nice shore dive. A short surface swim to the bouy and then straight down about 62'. Good vis and lots of suspended life. Take a left along the wall, stay close to the bottom, and you will most likely run into a nice school of Tarpon that will just barely move to let you past. We rented weights and tanks for $8.00US at the dive operation there.

MAKE SURE TO ASK ABOUT THE CURRENT AND THE TIDE CHANGE. You're in for a helluva swim back if you're not informed. (I know better....now)

Sting Ray City is, as they say, the best 12'-15' dive in the world. They're like slippery little puppies, begging for food.

Have fun in GC.

Andy

No argument there, Joe is very up-front about his terms of service and such.

It would be wrong to assume that every quality business is recommended. There are many very good businesses that do not advertise and are, thus, not on the recommended list. Ocean frontiers is an example of this. OF is consistently among the worlds top dive operations but, since they are not an advertiser, they are not recommended.

DS

It is a ridiculous forum in my view - anything that Joe doesn't like (even true, objective, constructive (& therefore helpful) comments or criticism) gets removed.

I'll concede that the activity guide is not objective, but there is still some good advice and such to be had there.

Add to that the friends and such that are made through the CAG forum and I think it is a valuable asset to the Cayman Islands. The forums keep the islands on the minds of travelers and encourage repeat visits.

So, does the CAG lack objectivity? Yes. Is it ridiculous? No. Just keep in mind what it is, and what it is not!

And no, I have no financial interest in it. I'm just a northern diver who gets his Cayman fix vicariously through others' trip reports between my own trips.

DS

Back
Top Bottom