Where to go for my DMT?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where do you plan to live and work?

Seems to me doing a DM course in warm clear waters does not prepare one to teach in anything but warm, clear waters.

This goes double for someone with so little experience.

If you plan to move to Australia, then get certified there. If you plan to live and teach where you are, then get it done there.

Seriously, I would not hire anyone with less than 200 dives to teach me anything diving related. But everyone has to start somewhere.

Have you considered DIVING, and getting a couple hundred dives in BEFORE taking all this course work? Maybe experience does not count for much where you are at.. for me it's the exact opposite.

Seems to me doing a DM course in warm clear waters does not prepare one to teach in anything but warm, clear waters.

This goes double for someone with so little experience.

If you plan to move to Australia, then get certified there. If you plan to live and teach where you are, then get it done there.

Seriously, I would not hire anyone with less than 200 dives to teach me anything diving related. But everyone has to start somewhere.

Have you considered DIVING, and getting a couple hundred dives in BEFORE taking all this course work? Maybe experience does not count for much where you are at.. for me it's the exact opposite.
Who you talking to Ron?

Check out Coconut Tree Divers in Roatan.
You'll do roughly 100 dives in 6 weeks.
Not only will you work hard, you'll play hard (getting ready for the snorkel test).
P.J. (Owner) and Will (Instructor to the Gods...LOL) have a nice learning environment down there.

I would take my D.M course in Key Largo at Amy Slates Amouray divers.Youll work on a dive boat,so Ive heard,and be right in the thick of things down there.[No first hand experience but refered by friends]

After the invasion, not sure I'd recommend Amy Slate.

There are some others in the Keys I would recommend.

Blue Water divers
Conch Republic

To name two.

However getting this done in the states is certainly not your least expensive option.

Last edited:

If you're thinking of the UK thats fine - generally here divemasters dont exist on boats or shops at all so chances of productive employment as one here virtually nil.

Ron,I havent heard of an invation whatsup with that if you care to elaborate.

I have recently seen a lot of information about an internship program offered at Dockside Dive Center and I would highly recommend the owner of the shop - Patty Grier - as a fantastic instructor and resource. This is on Roatan; the dive shop at CoCo View Resort. I think it would be a perfect place to do a divemaster course and with the internship, you get all the hands-on shop, dock and boat experience too. At least, check them out!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom