Southern Africa dive sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TaraSteinberg

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Planing a trip to southern africa in sept-oct and want to do some diving in south africa, mozambique and malawi. I've been to some amazing places (similans, red sea, belize, great barrier reef) so I want only great quality dive sites, challenging dives not a problem. I just don't want to miss anything great. Could anyone offer advice on the best places to dive and the marine life there? I'd like to see sharks, mantas, nudibranches and of course the elusive whale shark. Are any places good for night dives?Also, if anyone knows what dive shops are good as well.

Thanks!

OK, I haven't dove all the places yet, but I can give you a starting point.

1. Aliwal Shoal (Raggies, bull, tiger sharks, mantas, etc.) Diving Aliwal Shoal

2. Protea Banks (much the same as Aliwal) http://www.africandiveadventures.co.za/protea.html

3. Sodwana Bay (sharks, mantas, whale sharks, nudibranches, EVERYTHING!!!) I rate Sodwana as best diving spot in South Africa, and recommend to dive through ReefTeach - Scuba Diving South Africa Sodwana bay - Dive Sodwana Bay

4. Mozambique (whale sharks, turtles, mantas, etc.) - Also many different places to visit, starting at Ponta do Ouro in the south to Pemba in the north. Check out Ponta, Inhambane, Bazaruto, Pemba
mozambique map

I still want to dive "Bassas da India" which is only accesible via live-aboard in the Mozambique Channel.
Bassas da India - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Map of scuba dive sites in South Africa and Mozambique

Last edited:
Codie's covered basically all the best areas on the SA coast.

If you really want a decent tigershark dive, check out this link, it's an awesome experience. Diving with Tiger Sharks | Shark Adventures | Cape Town - tiger shark diving, tiger shark diving south africa.

For mantas and whale sharks I'd definitely head for the Inhambane area in Mocambique. I was up there in January and saw mantas on almost every dive on Manta Reef. Whale sharks are also plentiful in the area, saw 6 on one boat trip out to a dive site. We stayed at Guinjata Bay Resort which was really good (Guinjata Bay Mozambique, guinjata bay offers year round diving on some the most spectacular reefs in the world guinjatabay has many varieties of rare and beautiful fish and sea life). However, most guys recommend Tofo Scuba (::.. Tofo Scuba ..:: - Home). I've not dived with them yet but many swear by them.

In Southern Mocambique Ponta de Ouro/Ponta Molangane/Ponto Mamoli has some really good diving. All three resorts basically dive the same dive sites. There's good shark diving on Pinnacles Reef and night dives are often done. Mamoli is your upmarket resort, Ponta Molangane and Ponta de Oura are priced much the same but Ponta de Oura is much busier. It depends what you're after (after diving), a quite place or a bit of action. I usually go to Ponta de Ouro (on my daughter's request) and stay at Simply Scuba (Simply Scuba Ponta Do Ouro - Southern Mozambique :: Welcome ::). I can't really compare them to other dive operators as they're the only operator I dive through when down there.

Enjoy your trip!!

The Guinjata bay area is the best for whale shark they have also just found 5 new dive sites still waiting for more info visit Mozambique diving resorts Guinjata Bay and mozambique fishing Resorts,dive at Guinjata Bay,Barra Lodge,Flamingo Bay,Promene Lodge,Barra Lodge,Flamingo Bay,Indingo Bay,Matembo Island,Mejumbe Island,Pemba Resrt,Ponta Malomi as Zambezi advises there is also a seasonal dive sighting table on the site are you going to do Great White cage diving?
I do a lot of diving at Aliwal Shoal for most species of shark it is great send me a mail if you would like more info john@guinjatabay.co.za

Thanks for the advice! (6 whale sharks on one trip, I'm drooling just thinking about it) Does anyone know how the garden route dive sites compare with those of kwazulu natal? for example gansbaii, mossel bay, knysa and plettenberg bay? Also has anyone been to the querimbas archpelago (ibo eg) and is it worth the trek up north after diving in ponta d'ouro and inhambane?

Thanks,

Try this link for querimbas archpelago Medjumbe Private Island | Mozambique | Quirimba Archipelago,Southern Africa
I like Mejumbe it is a bit expensive, Matemo and Pemba to mention a couple are also excelent spots.
Cape [garden route] the water is colder than Kwa-Zulu Natal the best spot for great white is Gansbaai but I think in general the diving is a lot better in Kwa-Zulu Natal I would love to put a tour together for you that takes in all the the best spots

Does anyone know how the garden route dive sites compare with those of kwazulu natal? for example gansbaii, mossel bay, knysa and plettenberg bay?

Kwazulu-Natal is better and warmer, but Gansbaai is the diving spot in South Africa if you want to do Great White shark diving.

I have been diving at Knysna, Plettenberg Bay, Tsitsikama, Hout Bay and Hermanus but for me none of them compares to Kwazulu-Natal.

Another vote for Tofo Scuba to see Whalesharks and Mantas.
I have never been offered night diving in Moz. I have however done a few in Sodwana Bay.

For Great Whites and other Cape diving contact Mike at Pisces Divers - www.piscesdivers.co.za or mike@piscesdivers.co.za

Cape Town is often overlooked as a dive venus, probably because of the colder water. But apart from the sharks there are Cape Fur Seals, plenty of nudis, soft and hard corals etc.

Back
Top Bottom