USB connection for Mares dive computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Rob,
Good questions. I am currently still operating XP Pro so I haven't had the opportunity to work Vistas yet. Therefore I am not sure about the answers. I can work on getting them if you like. Did you ask via the Iris support website? You may find a quicker response from them.

Hi Zak,

I wasn't expecting a reply from you (or Phil) until the new year - so thanks!!

As I don't have any dives logged on my new Mares MC2, I will wait until i do have dives and see if I have any problems

I recently purchased a USB IRIS interface for my wife's Nemo, and after hours of frustrating teamwork, neither my wife or I have managed to download anything. At first, all we got was the "Error downloading" message. We reinstalled the software, and then got as far as the download command (position the Nemo, click OK, then press Enter on the dive computer). Every time we tried downloading, lights blinked for a while, but then turned solid green; there was no progress bar, and the cursor stayed in hourglass mode forever. And there's no way to know if it's working properly.

The user's manual and help files are of little help: they deal with what you can do with the data once it has been downloaded, but there are no diagrams explaining exactly where the Nemo's transmitter is, or how to position the dive computer or the IRIS unit for proper transmission (you only find this out during the download process, by which time you're fiddling with the mouse, the dive computer buttons, and the IRIS unit). The manual even contains a few misleading errors (for example, it talks about the "Upload" menu, when the IRIS application menu is actually "Download").

I realize this thread is now addressing Vista compatibility issues, but I would really appreciate some hints on how to make this work properly. I read through an earlier (2003) SB thread that had scathing reviews of the IRIS interface, and I am inclined to agree: I spent CAN$170 for the IRIS, and I am seriously considering asking for my money back...

I have a USB IRIS that I used for my now broken M2. The computer has been replaced with the NEMO Wide, which uses a different interface, so I can't go through the complete download sequence anymore, but my experience is that once you get it set up right the first time, the subsequent downloads were a piece of cake. It worked great after I figured out how to hook it up. If you would like to PM me, or if you have a instant messenger service (MSN, Yahoo, AIM) I can try and guide you through some of the experience I had getting it set up. I am using WinXP SP2. After I got the original setup (mostly the correct COM Port #) I had no problems with it.

Let me know if I can help.

PS, if anyone is interested I have a USB Iris for the Mares Nemo, Nemo Titanium, M2 RGBM, Airlab, M1 RGBM, and M1 computers. Unfortunately, I had to buy a new interface cable for the NEMO Wide.

I recently purchased a USB IRIS interface for my wife's Nemo, and after hours of frustrating teamwork, neither my wife or I have managed to download anything. At first, all we got was the "Error downloading" message. We reinstalled the software, and then got as far as the download command (position the Nemo, click OK, then press Enter on the dive computer). Every time we tried downloading, lights blinked for a while, but then turned solid green; there was no progress bar, and the cursor stayed in hourglass mode forever. And there's no way to know if it's working properly.

The user's manual and help files are of little help: they deal with what you can do with the data once it has been downloaded, but there are no diagrams explaining exactly where the Nemo's transmitter is, or how to position the dive computer or the IRIS unit for proper transmission (you only find this out during the download process, by which time you're fiddling with the mouse, the dive computer buttons, and the IRIS unit). The manual even contains a few misleading errors (for example, it talks about the "Upload" menu, when the IRIS application menu is actually "Download").

I realize this thread is now addressing Vista compatibility issues, but I would really appreciate some hints on how to make this work properly. I read through an earlier (2003) SB thread that had scathing reviews of the IRIS interface, and I am inclined to agree: I spent CAN$170 for the IRIS, and I am seriously considering asking for my money back...

Well, I ended up returning the IRIS. It was just too much trouble, even for two very computer-literate professionals. I truly believe that the one download session we managed (after 20 tries) was a matter of luck, correctly aligned stars, or something like that.

Speaking of twenty tries: my wife found that 20 of her dives had disappeared from her Nemo -- gone for good. :11: Exactly the number of unsuccessful download attempts (no progress bar, just the interface lights blinking for a while, then stopping)... Her Nemo's memory certainly wasn't full, and we didn't add any dives in the few days we fiddled with the IRIS. Talk about a nasty "undocumented feature"... Mares should definitely look into this.

I tend to like Mares products because they are usually well-designed -- they look good and perform well. But the IRIS just isn't there yet: it looks cute, and seems like a good idea, but I agree with posters in other threads: the technology still needs work. I give it a :thumbs_down:

I have a Mares M2 and just recently purchased the USB Downloader. I keep getting a runtime error 6 overflow. I have been to the Mares help page and tried everything they suggested there I have also sent troubleshoot tickets and have not recieved any replies. Has anyone else had this problem. It is driving me insane. If you can help it would be great if not thanks for letting me us this forum.

Dive safe Be safe
lloyd

I recently got the USB interface for the M2 and on my first (and so far only) download it took about 4 tries to get the module and computer lined up correctly. Once I got it the download worked fine. Conditions have been lousy since then so I haven't been back in the water. I hope now that I know how to align the module everything continues to work OK.

Nathan

Why would this PC interface for the Mares still cost $120 USD?? This is insane! It's $5 worth of plastic and circuit board!

BOOOO!!! I'm really upset that I purchased the Mares M2 now. Wish I had gone with something slight more expensive with a simple USB interface that doesn't use infarred. This is just silly.

$120? There is more than one place online that list the IRIS at $85 to $100?

Again, it should be $40 for this kind of device when you have already paid so much for a dive computer. $85 is about 1/3 of what I paid for the Mares M2. They only charge this much because they've already got you hooked with the dive PC, and there is no real way (unless you are an electrical engineer) to make your own. Other dive computers use a simple usb cable connection (Oceanic Veo 100 NX) that is inexpensive to acquite ($20).

Just ranting, but Mares should not be taking advantage of its customers in such ways. Even if they charged an extra $40 for the Dive Computer and packaged the IRIS with it, that would be even better, and it would save them $ on packaging and shipping costs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom