Considering 1030 SW and PT-043

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver's Wife

Reaction score
The crunch is on. We're leaving for vacation on the 15th so if we're going to invest in an underwater camera for this trip, the clock is ticking.

We went in a camera shop on the weekend and the 1030 caught my husband's attention. Since this would be our first underwater camera other than a few point and shoots we've purchased for prior trips, I've been doing some research so we can hopefully make an informed and wise decision.

The 1030 SW and PT-043 seem to do a decent job, but I'm wondering if there's a less expensive option that would achieve similar results. My concern in investing all this cash in a 1030 and PT-043 is that digital camera technology is changing at such a clip. I'd hate to buy the camera and underwater housing and find it's substantially out of date within a year or so (and likely with no resale value).

If we bit the bullet and bought the 1030 and PT-043, what kind of results could we expect using only the built-in flash? Does anyone know the approximate depth at which it would still achieve decent pics?

Is there a more economical option than the 1030 that the camera shop overlooked suggesting to us? We have no particular loyalty to Olympus so if there's another brand we should consider, I'd love to hear about it. (I'm personally a big Nikon SLR and DSLR fan).

My thought is that it might be best to postpone this purchase until we've done more research. We're going to Punta Cana for two weeks. The diving there is so-so. If we don't have a new super duper digital underwater camera, it's likely no tragedy. I'm researching a March trip to Roatan so that would allow for more camera research time.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

If you were familiar with the camera's functions you were buying, (like you owned it already). I would tell you to rush out and buy it. If it is totally unfamiliar to you, I would wait and do your research throughly and then buy a camera leaving yourself plenty of time to get use to the camera and housing. As for the digital world going too fast, it doesn't seem to matter, there is always the next biggest, baddest, better around the corner, you will never keep up....

I also have found I really like the raw format option in my Oly sp-350, The one you are looking at only shoots in jpeg. I have had shots I took that looked all black, and being able to really change the adjustments in phototshop made my pictures salavageable...I wouldn't buy a camera without the Raw format option...

Thanks Cheddar.

It looks like the SP-350 has been replaced with the 550, 560 or 570 models ... correct?

Welcome, Diver's Wife

Don't get worried about models fading away...the companies release so many new models each year that you'll never keep up no matter how much research you do. Just find one that works now and go from there. Forget resale value on a compact - it's not going to be that great, though there is usually some, so it shouldn't be a factor.

If you haven't, check out the Sticky at the top of the UW Photo area - inside is a huge compilation of information from our members including links to images, discussions of a wide range of models.

Personally, unless you love the ruggedness of the Oly 1030 and need that feature, I wouldn't buy one. I've been tempted, especially with a trip to very cold temps coming up soon, but I've seen a lot of images from this range and while some are fine, there are few that really produce the sorts of results that I want from a compact camera while several other manufacturers offer similarly or lower priced options with much better results.

So saying, I still have and use my Oly SW (an older one) sometimes - though the more I use it, the less I like it and the more grumpy I get about the images when I compare LOL I'm glad I have it, but I would be very unhappy if this was my only compact camera.

Canon makes an A series and an SD series which both have some great models in the line up to meet most budgets. The SDs are smaller and lack many features, but they are smaller and the true point & shoot images turn out very well. The As are slightly larger and have the full range of manual controls plus various auto modes; some A series have a hack so you can shoot RAW if you choose.

Fuji has a couple of models (all a bit older) that are also little gems - the F30 is an awesome point & shoot if you can find one and are willing to pay the premium price they are fetching.

There are a lot out there - have a look at the Sticky (Pink Link in my sig if you want) and check out the various subforums here...maybe post your needs, dive experience and budget in the main area so those who shoot any type of camera will be able chime in and help!

Thanks for all the great stuff, Alcina.

I'll check out the Sticky tomorrow morning while I have my coffee. I hadn't seen it. Glad you mentioned it!

As far as Canons go, we have an A85 (4 megapixel). Do you think that's too outdated for an underwater housing?

I'm sure you can still find a housing for the 85 if you look. Nothing wrong with that camera at all - I still have a 75 (or is the 70, can never remember) and it's a gem. Of course there are newer and slicker units out now, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it, imho.

Be a relatively inexpensive way to get into things so you don't have to rush a decision and as you know the camera theoretically you will be able to use it more effectively and thus get better photos.

Underwater photography often looks like it's all about the gear, but it's really about the person behind the lens - how good of a diver he/she is, how willing he/she is to work for an image and how well he/she knows how to get the most from whatever equipment is in hand at the time.

You could find a housing on the cheap probably on eBay for the A85. I still use my Canon Powershot S230 (3.2mps) from time to time. It is compact enough to take on dives I am not sure will provide lots of camera shots, but I want to have it along "just in case". Also some TVs can display photos but max out at 4mps... My S230 shots can be seen on the big screen, but my G9 cannot - too big of file size, etc...

Just did a quick eBay search and saw the housing is ~$80 shipped.. auction still going for another 3 days....

If you have the A85 and opt to buy another camera later, then you would still have a camera for each diver...And you could take the A85 to the ski slopes, etc.... Just a thought....

The crunch is on. We're leaving for vacation on the 15th so if we're going to invest in an underwater camera for this trip, the clock is ticking.

The 1030 SW and PT-043 seem to do a decent job, but I'm wondering if there's a less expensive option that would achieve similar results. My concern in investing all this cash in a 1030 and PT-043 is that digital camera technology is changing at such a clip. I'd hate to buy the camera and underwater housing and find it's substantially out of date within a year or so (and likely with no resale value).

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Are you serious, resale, no, it and every digital anything from your new laptop computer to your new digital vacum cleaner is worth no more than the dust it collects in a year. AND, in another year, nothing will have changed. Sooner or later you got to pick a rock and stand on it. N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom