Underwater Hunter Specialty Course + Dive Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WetDawg

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I will be hosting an entire weekend of action-packed underwater food chasing fun the weekend of August 16-17, 2008 through Divers Direct in Fort Lauderdale, FL.

The Underwater Hunter and Collector Specialty Course is designed to be an introduction to safe spearfishing and lobstering, and to help the student diver develop the skills, knowledge and techniques necessary take fish and lobster responsibly, safely, and legally with minimal environmental impact. Everything that we catch we should be eating.

This course has always been a fan favorite, but we are adding on a few extras this time around that I think you are going to like, including a custom charter trip and a cookout to follow so your friends and family can enjoy the results of your new skills.

The kick-off starts on Saturday as we head over to Tigertail Lake for an introduction to gear and techniques. We will get in the water and test fire several different makes and models of underwater shooting apparatus and have some target shooting practice. This is essential for people who have never fired any type of speargun. This can also be beneficial for experienced shooters that want to understand more about the capabilities of each type of gun. If you are thinking of making a purchase this is an excellent time to "try before you buy." If you have a new gun this is also a great opportunity to test it and get a feel for what it can do.

Topics include:
  • General Safety
  • Guns and Gear: Band guns, pneumatics, pole spears, Hawaiian slings,
  • All important Accessories
  • Fish identification - local fish introduction
  • Approaching fish - stealth hunting techniques
  • Bagging more lobster
  • Conservation and Awareness
  • Rules and Regulations to keep you out of trouble with the law
  • Fish Cleaning and Preparation
  • Loads of fish stories (some of which may actually be true!)

Sunday morning we will head offshore on board the Sea Experience II and put your new skills to the test on a custom spearfishing and lobstering charter. The trip is not included in the cost of the course. Guests are welcome on the boat, details to follow.

The highlight of the weekend will be on Sunday afternoon with a Cookout in Hollywood from 3-6PM or so. Bring your family and friends and a dish to pass and enjoy the spoils of the hunt. Details to follow.

Prerequisites: Must be 15 or older and a certified diver with any recognized agency; this course will count towards your Master Scuba diver rating
Equipment required:

• Mask, snorkel and fins, BCD, reg / tanks (tank fills will be provided)
  • Exposure suit appropriate for the local diving environment
  • Quick release weight belt or weight system.
  • Complete instrumentation, including a means to monitor depth, time and direction.
  • Dive tool or knife.
  • Whistle or other surface signaling device like an SMB (i.e SCUBA sausage)
  • Spear gun - we will have a few available to borrow
  • Tickle stick & net or snare for lobster
  • Stringer/catch bag

Course Cost: $149 which includes: All instruction, use of spearfishing gear, certification fees and c-card, all air/gas for 3 dives. Cookout on Sunday afternoon.

NOT included are FL fishing license/lobster stamp, TT Lake fee, and boat trip on Sunday which will be about $60.

** WARNING: This course is not for the faint of heart, if you have any issues with killing critters and eating them then this course may not be for you. **

Remember, you got to kill it before you can grill it.

Please RSVP to wesgruver@yahoo.com well in advance as this class is sure to fill up.

Wow - I have to work in Vegas that weekend, but I want to attend that type of course. Do you plan to do more - if so, when?

TT Lake fee,??

I am confused. I have not lived there in 12 years but TT lake was Tiger Tail lake before Outdoor World. I swam there often as a young lad and never saw a loster?

On Saturday morning we will be at the Lake to PRACTICE with the spearguns and test fire them at underwater targets, not fish. (It's illegal to spear in fresh water in FL).

For those who have never loaded or fired a band gun, pneumatic, pole spear, or Hawaiian sling, this will be the chance to come out and compare and contrast and get some experience before the real thing on Sunday.

And yes, we will be in the Atlantic ocean on Sunday morning.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom