Equalize? With head up like a nosebleed or chin down on chest?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ladyvalea

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
When you equalize? is your head looking down and your chin is near your chest and you press your nose and blow? or is your head tilited back like you have a nose bleed ? Or do you just hold your head normal position?

Thanks

I do both. I try to descend in a horizontal position, so I equalize both head-up looking straight forward watching my buddies, and head-down watching for the bottom in murky water.

I think this is a case where it doesn't really matter. Do whatever makes it easier/more comfortable for you to equalize!

I never thought about it. But like Gombessa said, I don't think it matters.

there are many differant schools of thought on this. I prefer to streach my neck as I equalize. I find that this makes the equalization easier. lifting your head gives the same effect. the pich and blow technique of equalizing is called Valsalva method. There are others as well like Frenzel, Toynbee, Beance Tubaire Volontaire. If you are loking for differant ways to eaqualize and are not satisfied with the "pinch and blow" then I would recommend that you look up the other ways ( a simple goolge search will do), try each of them several times until you find a way that works best. For me, if I have a sinus issue and need to equalize my sinuses, I use the pinch and blow. if my ears need equalizing, I use the yawn / jaw wiggle. There are tons of other ways to eaqualize none right or wrong, it is what ever works for the individual. Just be sure that you are equalizing often, when going up or down...

Personnaly I have found that head position doesn't really matter. As others have said for different people, different techniques work, and I agree you should find what works bets for you. Best of luck!

Position doesn't really matter....just do what's comfortable for you. I generally do it with my head in just a neutral position, but I don't think it would be a problem (other than maybe for comfort) to do it in any other position.

When I teach the equalization techniques, I mention; nose pinch/gentle blow against nose with held breath, yawning with teeth still clenching the mouthpiece, wiggling the jaw again clenching mouthpiece, above three combined (reason for first video housings :) ), tilting/stretching the neck to one side and then the other while doing any or all the above. Another thing to consider is what way does air want to go underwater? If you point the hard clearing ear(s) toward the surface, you are not fighting nature to push air down into the area it needs to go.

Before the flames start; nose pinch equalization should only be done while not ascending. Many beginners feel any pressure in the ear and then think "pinch and blow", but the inexperienced often mistake the pressure of expanding air during ascent for the descending compression that "pinch and blow" is all about. Some people with tender ears need to equalize on ascent, but yawning/wiggling is the only safe way for that, IMHO. Pinch and blow while ascending can cause a number of injuries. By saying "while holding your breath" shortly after reciting the number one rule in diving, we get to discuss a number of important subjects.

For starters, pinching and blowing does not put air into the ear if you do not close your airway, so we only do this while descending!

Normally hold my head in a normal position. I have found out that if I cant clear I can tilt my head back and it works. Equalize early and often and you will be ok.

Looking "up" will stretch out your Eustachian tubes and allow the equalization process to proceed uninhibited. Looking "down" tends to close them off.

HOWEVER, far more important than this is to equalize EARLY and often. Once you feel pressure on the ears, the Eustachian tubes may be partially occluded. It's best to start your dive by equalizing and then doing it often BEFORE you feel any pain. If, for any reason you feel you have to blow harder: DON'T!!! Ascend a few feet instead and try again. Still no good? Ascend some more and try again. You might make it to the surface and find that you can't equalize there. Blow your nose and get all of the mucous out. If you still can't equalize on the surface, then call your dive. No need for a barotrauma to the ear!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom