New Deaf Diver here!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ah my bad- I will work on equalizing more often, no matter if I haven't felt any discomfort yet. Thanks for the heads up, ScubaJW and BoB. =D

Congratulations on becoming a scuba diver!

Enjoy your dives and scuba buddies. As well be safe.

ha ha... i can understand the wonderment in seeing deaf divers signing.

My fiance and I were the only deaf divers in our all hearing diving club and they are thrilled in having us as part of their dive family.

Welcome to the Board!!!

We are privileged to have you, And what a great thread this is and a bunch of great people that have responded.

Really awesome to read such a fun thread !!

You only equalize 2 times when you go down to 60 ft? Are you just waiting to feel pressure then you equalize your ears? We should equalize our ears; even though, we do not feel the pressure in our ears in any depth. I just wanted to be sure that you are not getting the wrong idea - because my left ear was injured because I didn't equalize my ears enough. I don't want this to happen to you!

You are right... that as soon as the diver goes under water equalize right away. I learned the hard way, got a bad ear pain because I waited too long till I got deeper and had a lot of trouble clearing my ears (due to pressure), then blew as hard and my ears popped, OMG, hurt horribly.

A DM at Bonne Terre Mines, MO showed me how to do the proper way... squeeze the nose gently and blow softly while exhaling through the reg - do that a few times as soon as you are under water until you feel your ears popped. That did work without any further problems.

RaixenViper, my quote to ScubaJW is for you, too. Keep practising till you got it right and hope you have many more enjoyable dives.

RaixenViper, I'm SO glad to see your post! While I'm not totally deaf, I'm profoundly hard of hearing and wear hearing aids. There are two things that I've come to LOVE and that's an on-line forum and scuba diving. Primarily because my hearing doesn't come into play on either and I'm on a level playing field with everybody else (at least at my level of cert).

Welcome to ScubaBoard!

Back
Top Bottom