Deep Air Diving - thoughts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think air is in any one of GUE's standard gas mixes.

Didn't know that. Can you (or anyone) say what GUE-permitted dive gases are, and what's permitted/recommended for each depth?

I really don't know what to say. All the fast jet drivers I've met, British and American, did it because they loved the excitement of doing it, the prestige it gave them, and the very considerable pay packet. They didn't do it "to serve their country" - that came later.

I hate intellectual dishonesty.

Well what can I say, I have been there, were you?

Didn't know that. Can you (or anyone) say what GUE-permitted dive gases are, and what's permitted/recommended for each depth?

I really have to go but I can send you some articles if you wish if you either give me an email or tell me how to attach to PM's.

Good for you, DumpsterDiver!!!
There are only three explanations - You have been not deep enough, not long enough, or you did not have enough Miller Light while down there (the beer, not the wreck just of Pompano Beach. But that’s not really deep either, or is it?)!!!

I really have to go but I can send you some articles if you wish if you either give me an email or tell me how to attach to PM's.

No, I can easily find the answers for myself. I'd prefer you post it here so everyone can read it. No rush.

What can I say? You truly have balls of steel. In fact you are most assuredly the toughest, no-sh.t dude I have ever come across.

Actually I'm not and my balls are not made of steel. I'm an average guy, perhaps with a little more tolerance and acceptance of danger than the next guy, but I do feel that some people are wrapping themselves in cotton wool and the whole planet seems to be getting more and more...I cant even find the word for it.

Not all of us have access to reasonably priced helium and either we don't do the dive or we dive deepish on air. At the end of the day we want to explore and therefore we choose to do it.

Many people have died discovering the delights of our world in all aspects of exploration, land, sea and air and more will probably continue to do so. If these people hadn't done it we would probably still be living in caves. It just seems to me that there is a lack of the "explorer gene" these days and it's becoming more predominant that people actually want to discourage "adventure". Its quite sad really.

But hey if you ain't comfortable doing a 50 metre air dive then by all means don't do it but to rag on others and call them idiots for doing so...?

So you flew fast jets...very cool but very dangerous. I'm sure some people would call you an idiot for sitting on top of friggen great jet engines, fuel and weapons...not me....I think you are marvelous (I really do - I love planes and weapons).
Just curious as to why you think flying a fast jet is "safe" but diving past 30 metres on air is stupid?

So why is that precisely how they are often perceived as behaving? How has it happened that there is so much "misinformation on the internet"? Could GUE divers be at least partly responsible for the generation of antipathy?

Actually I'm glad you mentioned GUE. That at last enables me to put what you have been saying into context, because it did seem to have a suggestion of "religious fervour".

God, how tedious. I hate how these discussions always end up devolving into thinly-veiled ad hominem attacks. Can't we stick to a civil discussion of the issues? This is a thread about Deep Air, not whether GUE is a cult.

Last edited:

GUE standard gases are:

0-100ft: 32% or 30/30 (the latter recommended for <100' dives in more arduous conditions)
100-150ft: 21/35
150-200ft: 18/45
200-250ft: 15/55
250-400ft: 10/70

GUE Standard Deco gases are:

20ft: 02
70ft: 50%
120ft: 25/35
190ft: 21/35

[NB: GUE chose these particular mixes as Standard Gases for reasons that go beyond PP02 and PNg limits (which, incidentally, are: max working PPO2 1.2ATA for technical dives, max working PPO2 1.4 for recreational depths, Max Deco PPO2 1.6, Max END 100ft).

The other part of the picture is that using standard gasses in this manner makes dive planning and gas logistics simpler (the cool battlefield calculations facilitated by the standardization of gases really made the bulb go on above my head in Tech 1!). And they allow the diver a greater opportunity to build up an intimate familiarity with the profiles in the depth ranges they commonly dive in. All of which promotes greater safety and conservatism.]

But that is a topic for another thread - I don't mean to hijack this one...

GUE standard gases are:

0-100ft: 32% or 30/30 (the latter recommended for <100' dives in more arduous conditions)
100-150ft: 21/35
150-200ft: 18/45
200-250ft: 15/55
250-400ft: 10/70
45% helium is too high for me, I prefer 18/30. 30% helium is sufficient for 200 feet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom