New X-shorts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vondo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
After seeing almost nothing here about the new X-shorts from Dive-Xtras, I ordered a pair from their eBay store. They appear to sell 2nds on eBay with a run in the logo silkscreening, but I can't tell.

These are definitely more substantial than I was expecting. The shorts are 2-3mm neoprene, I would guess and the pockets are as thick a cordura than the quality backpacking backpacks I've had. The pockets are stitched to the shorts and have velcro inside the bellows to hold the pockets closed if they are empty.

I think the only downside might be the waistband. It's a bungie and I'm not sure it will keep me from droopy drawers syndrome. Also the hem on the leg is not tight around my thighs.

I think I'm very much going to enjoy these and now I can get rid of the pocket I've had on my harness waist belt. I only saw the old ones from 5thd once, so I don't know how they compare.

I also bought a couple pairs of Xshorts on eBay. People have teased me about how silly they look, but they are certainly handy to access while diving. The velcro to hold the posckts closed, came loose after a few dives. You can expect to re-stitch the velcro back onto the pocket.

I am very satisfied, considering the shorts cost less than buying pockets to attach to my wetsuit.

Would the logo be easy to remove or paint over if one preferred less branding?

How's the sizing on these?

Are you supposed to choose according to your normal waist size, and assume they have enough extra to accommodate a thick wetsuit or a drysuit, or are you meant to take your waist measurement with your dive suit on and go with that?

[I have old x-shorts in size M, and they fit over my drysuit too (snug though), but the size chart has changed, so now I would need L or XL per the new chart, and even with the old chart I was supposed to need size L, but they ran a bit on the large side relative to the old chart...]

Would the logo be easy to remove or paint over if one preferred less branding?

How's the sizing on these?

Are you supposed to choose according to your normal waist size, and assume they have enough extra to accommodate a thick wetsuit or a drysuit, or are you meant to take your waist measurement with your dive suit on and go with that?

[I have old x-shorts in size M, and they fit over my drysuit too (snug though), but the size chart has changed, so now I would need L or XL per the new chart, and even with the old chart I was supposed to need size L, but they ran a bit on the large side relative to the old chart...]

I have a 34" waist (at least I wear 34-35" Levis) and got the XL. For use with a 7mm wetsuit, I could have gotten a L, I think, but XL may be right when I make the transition to a drysuit. So, I would say the sizing is pretty much according to the size.

The printing is on cordura, so I imagine it will wear off and you could peel or rub it off. It's just on one pocket.

I use an L over my drysuit; I would think anybody bigger than me (5'4", 120) would need the XLs.

You can easily replace the bungie with a non-stretch cord by tying the end of the cord to one end of the bungie and pulling it through the channel. I use non-stretch cord on mine.

I think X-shorts were a brilliant idea. I use them when diving wet, and I use them over my Fusion.

I wear them with my Fusion and find them a bit droopy out of the water. I'm thinking of fastening them to my weight belt, as they do tend to ride down on me.

I have a pair that I bought a few years back. It looked like the pockets had a slant on them so I took the drawstring out and turned around and replaced with bungie where the tag in the back goes. I then added bungie to the legs to keep them snug. All in came out real nice and have let many friends try them. The pockets were real good. I added bungie to them as well. Good Luck.

I managed to pop a tiny hole in mine when I was removing them after a dive a few weeks back. Left leg, right where the bottom right part of the pocket attaches. I only had maybe...10-15 dives on them.

Nothing a little AquaSeal can't fix.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom