Pics: Seal dive report, Isles of Shoals Sun. 8/3/08

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are these types of close up encounter with the seals typical? I just showed my wife the pics and she was all smiles, and saidwe need to do that. I just wonder if this was one of those "special" days.

Per Captain Bill, of the Lady Patricia, chances of a good seal dive are better if they are basking on the rocks and not actively hunting. He really knows his stuff! That's what I've seen in my limited experience, too.

These two little islands are often frequented by seals and we saw a couple dozen seals up on the rocks as we checked out conditions. The Captain said it looked like it would be good that day.

The result was that all ten of our divers saw seals during their dive. Some had seals pass at a distance, most had seals approach within a few feet, some had a group of seals approach together. Some had very close encounters.

For me, my encounters that day were the best I'd had in four trips to the Isles of Shoals, but I've had real close encounters on another of those trips (see the seal image in my Public Profile composite).

A third trip didn't have them real close, but certainly swimming within ten feet, and the fourth had rough seas and no seals basking on the rocks, so we didn't dive in their favorite spot that day.

So, from my perspective, diving with Captain Bill, half the trips had wonderfully close seal encounters, one had nice passes and sightings and one trip was too rough to have seals in that area.

I'd suggest a call to the charter of your choice to see if they've seen seals lately and then make your decision.

By the way, the best sightings were in the summer and the only time we were blown out was a fall trip in October. The weather becomes more iffy beginning in the fall.

All things considered, diving with seals is a truly wonderful experience and worth taking the chance! :)

Dave C

Last edited:
Very nice

Thanks,

I actually know Bill. I used to live on a boat down in that neck of the woods.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom