Alabama Madison Quarry Re-Open - Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubacoots3

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Dove the newly re-opened madison quarry today (Saturday, August 9th)- it was AWESOME to be able to dive there again - it will be opened for 3 months - tried to see as much as i could today - Dove the rocket - Jet - all 3 house boats - nasa transfer tube - nasa observatory - bridge span - nasa simulator & vertical tube. The water temp was 82 on the bottom.
Will dive it as often as i can these next 3 months.
Everything is in great shape and all docks are functional.
Groups from Tennessee and Mississippi were there today - seems like the word is getting out about it being open again.
check it out at Better Diver Madison Quarry

Hope to see a lot of old friends there in the next few weeks.

How much are the fees? How is the viz?

fees are $20 (cash).

Vis was decent last weekend, but I wasn't there this weekend.

last weekend was prob 30+ vis above the minor thermocline and 5 to 15 feet vis on the bottom. there is a mild temp shift on the bottom and I think that accounts for the change in vis.

overall it's pretty decent though.

Joey, waiting on email for those pictures u took at madison on saturday. I would love to see how they turned out. For everyone else this place is awesome and u need to support the best quarry in the state for future diving. I know Britt must have gone through many hoops to afford us all this awesome opportunity, so lets support the quarry and make a statement to the madison water board.

Great to hear the quarry is open--looking for another place to dive within decent driving distance of the Memphis area. Planning to go dive with my daughter on the 18th and/or 19th--might do a night dive too if she's up for it. Was planning onPelham, but this might be a nice change of pace.

How deep to thermocline & what's the water temp (both above & below it if known)?

Great to hear the quarry is open--looking for another place to dive within decent driving distance of the Memphis area. Planning to go dive with my daughter on the 18th and/or 19th--might do a night dive too if she's up for it. Was planning onPelham, but this might be a nice change of pace.

How deep to thermocline & what's the water temp (both above & below it if known)?

In another thread the temp was reported last weekend I think as about 78f. (maybe it was 76, but close to that at least).

There really isn't a thermocline. you might feel a small difference about 5 feet from the bottom, but not really. except in the "back right corner". (southeast corner). the quarry is slightly deeper back there and also shadded from the sun. it's always been a little colder in that corner.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom