The town meeting regarding the Calypso LNG Gas Port.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And I think this provides an excellent explanation as to why the politicians are coming out against it:

With election looming, politicians express concern about proposed gas pipeline

With election looming, politicians express concern about proposed gas pipeline
> Posted by Anthony Man at 10:59 AM

The proposal for a natural gas port off the Fort Lauderdale coast may or may not be good public policy. But it turned out to be an excellent opportunity for candidates to get a little publicity and show their allegiance to the community during a meeting Monday evening to debate the project.

Even pro-business Republicans who tend to support this sort of thing lined up to denounce the project and grill Brad Cooley, the hapless assistant project manager sent by Suez Energy North America to face the crowd at the Beach Community Center on Galt Ocean Mile.

"I can't imagine you coming to South Florida and saying safety is not an issue," thundered Sen. Jeff Atwater, seeking reelection and looking forward to becoming Senate president if he wins, after Cooley said the company and the Coast Guard had worked hard to make sure the project wouldn't pose a threat.

Other candidates showing up to work the crowd and demonstrate their solidarity with the people included Broward Sheriff Al Lamberti, who is seeking another term; Linda Bird, attempting to unseat Atwater; Rep. Jack Seiler, who chaired the meeting and is running for mayor of Fort Lauderdale; Rep. Ellyn Bogdanoff, facing a tough reelection fight; and Chris Chiari, who's running against Bogdanoff.

-- Staff Writer David Fleshler

There's several of you on this post with your opinions, that I not only disagree with, but I could care less of your thoughts. I stand behind what I believe. And for those of us who went to the OPEN town meeting. We saw the numerous people there that where highly informed on the project, much more than the "expert"- Divemasters/SB veterans ... ewwww !! Your intelligence is alarming.

There's one persons opinion that counts, and thats the Governors, and we'll eventually find out how he's going to vote on it. And it might not go my preferred way, but you won't here bitching like I have all the answers ... like you. Till then, why don't you settle down.

And lastly, basically all I tried to do was stir up some support on an issue that quite honestly ... your in the minority on.

DebbyDiver, thanks for your mention.

Best - Patrick Mulholland

Last edited by a moderator:
There's several of you on this post with your opinions, that I not only disagree with, but I could care less of your thoughts. I stand behind what I believe.
Please explain what you believe. Please explain your specific objections.

I've seen lots of strange concerns posted in the thread http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/fl...ision-natural-gas-port-off-lbts-close.html--- posts that said it was going to be on a reef (it's in water 850-900' deep); that an LNG spill would impact the shore and reef much like an oil spill (it won't), and that it would be better to locate the terminal onshore in Port Everglades (it is better to have it offshore than in a heavily populated area).

As I said in my response to your first post
charlie99:
Tropicaledit:
tropicaledit
The impressive side of the meeting was the information that these people brought to back up there points of view. Shockingly, it doesnt seem to add up to quite with what some of the individuals on scuba board are saying. I guess some of these scuba board people are just more informed than others.
Please inform us.

What was the basis of their objections? Seriously. Please educate us.

I call it believing in something, you can call it what you want.
I'm not sure what to call it, but it doesn't seem to be a reasoned, well thought out position supported by facts. I see some personal attacks in these threads, but they are coming FROM you, not directed AT you. Of course, if your belief is that you have calmly discussed facts while other have personally attacked you, we probably can't change your mind on that either.

Please explain your reasons for opposition to the project.

OBXDIVEGUY, I'm off to work now, but when I get back from work tonight I'll try and address some of the points that I think people are miscalculating.

First, which the Suez company addmited to was the fact that the state of Florida actually has a surplus of Natural Gas. Its based on a projected demand, not current.

Secondly, the LNG gas will be imported from FOREIGN countries. This alone will only furthur our problem with dependence, 2 of those countries where stated as RUSSIA and IRAN, the 2 primary exporters.

3rd, this is a prototype project. THIS IS THE FIRST OF ITS KIND. Fort Lauderdale would be subjected to a prototype project that has never been constructed elsewhere before.

Have to go to work ...

We saw the numerous people there that where highly informed on the project, much more than the "expert"- Divemasters/SB veterans ... ewwww !! Your intelligence is alarming.

Do you not see the irony in this statement? You yourself are only a broadcast editor and a scubaboard member. Following your logic and the fact that apparently scubaboard opinions dont count, well I think you put it best... "your intelligence is alarming"

There's several of you on this post with your opinions, that I not only disagree with, but I could care less of your thoughts.

Till then, why don't you settle down (name calling).

...quite honestly (Name Calling) ... your in the minority on. **** Edited by El Orans not quoted for truth

Go make a speach on a pedastal if you dont want anyone to discuss their own opinions but if you bring a subject up in a public forum I guess you will have to deal with opossing points of view. Refute them but use an intelligent logical rebutal as opposed to name calling. Yeah Yeah we are :censored: and :censored: i guess you showed us.

I have not even formed an opinion about the calypso project yet but i do know your inflamatory and antagonistic name calling, while not only being a putoff, speaks volumes of your ability to debate a subject and form an intelligent opinion. Sounds like you have a pretty one-sided assessment.

You said you could care less about our thoughts... Not a very wise statement and it makes it obviouse you need a lesson in inductive reasoning but i am not going to be the one to give it to you. Instead here is a quote... i can't remember who said it.

"He who knows only his own side of the case, knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them. But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side; if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion."

Last edited:

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

All less than desirable posts/words have been removed. Please keep this thread on-topic and civil.

That’s right El you tell em :wink: :D
I don’t see anything wrong with a simple discussion without all the drama.:coffee: I feel each time we support implementation of new ways to use fossil fuels it is a step back.. When do we just say no, from this point forward only clean energy sources? Nobody likes change, it will be tough. :shakehead:But without it we will continue to pollute this great place we live.:popcorn:

When do we just say no, from this point forward only clean energy sources? Nobody likes change, it will be tough. :shakehead:But without it we will continue to pollute this great place we live.:popcorn:
What is YOUR target date for your personal use of ONLY clean energy sources?

Massive projects, whether fossil fuel terminals or large solar and wind power systems require long lead times.

Until then, we need to maintain and develop needed infrastructure for our existing energy sources.

Just wishing for everything to suddenly be converted over to clean energy is a wonderful, admirable thing, but that doesn't mean it's going to happen instantly or painlessly. All development, even of "clean energy" have their drawbacks and will take time. Imagine how long it will be before a significant wind farm could be erected offshore in S. Florida (if ever).

Conserving energy, developing alternative energy, and continuing to develop fossil fuels are all needed. No single one of those is the total answer.

That’s right El you tell em :wink: :D
I don’t see anything wrong with a simple discussion without all the drama.:coffee: I feel each time we support implementation of new ways to use fossil fuels it is a step back.. When do we just say no, from this point forward only clean energy sources? Nobody likes change, it will be tough. :shakehead:But without it we will continue to pollute this great place we live.:popcorn:

Unless you're ready to commute on a Segway, you really need to rethink this. I'm trying really hard to lay off here but you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom