Selecting buddies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cherryogirl

Registered
Reaction score
I need to find buddies to dive with. My instructor turned me on to this site and I've found some divers interested in diving with me but I'm not sure what's appropriate and what's safe in meeting someone for the first time and going diving.
First off I'm a girl, so I do have safety concerns about meeting a guy off somewhere alone for the first time.
Second, how can I tell if they will be a safe buddy? Are there certain questions I could ask to help me determine if they are safe divers?
Are there precautions I should take to keep myself safe under water, just in case they aren't safe once we get down there?
If I begin a dive and realize that I don't feel comfortable with this other diver possibly because of their behavior, would it be bad form to stop the dive?
If I choose to stop the dive for some reason and signal to go up and they refuse, am I required to stay with the buddy or can I surface?

Are there any safer options to finding dive buddies?

Thanks for any guidance you can provide!
Sherry

Not sure about how far Cummings is from Augusta, but you can come dive with us. There are 3 of us(me, hubby, friend) that dive pretty much every weekend. We will be going to Lake russell on Saturday. Send me a message if you wanna stop by. We have a pontoon boat that we dive off of.

First, let me welcome you to ScubaBoard.

I need to find buddies to dive with. My instructor turned me on to this site and I've found some divers interested in diving with me but I'm not sure what's appropriate and what's safe in meeting someone for the first time and going diving.
First off I'm a girl, so I do have safety concerns about meeting a guy off somewhere alone for the first time.
I’ll let the very wise and learned women who dive answer this.
Second, how can I tell if they will be a safe buddy? Are there certain questions I could ask to help me determine if they are safe divers?
Here is a good start http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ba...jective-way-eyeball-someones-skill-level.html

Are there precautions I should take to keep myself safe under water, just in case they aren't safe once we get down there? If I begin a dive and realize that I don't feel comfortable with this other diver possibly because of their behavior, would it be bad form to stop the dive?
A good buddy check list will help but if you, at anytime, feel unsafe, call the dive.
If I choose to stop the dive for some reason and signal to go up and they refuse, am I required to stay with the buddy or can I surface?

If you and your buddy are in synch, this should not be and issue. Buy keep in mind, your personal safety is more important to you than anyone else. If the dive is called, we both surface – period. If your buddy refuses, they are the one that chooses to become a solo diver and you will need a new buddy.

Come visit us in SoCal, my wife and I will dive with you!

Sherry,

It is very difficult determining someones skill level or how safe they would be with questions alone. I have been in a few groups diving and seen people who could the talk the talk but couldn't walk the walk. If your diving with a new buddy and have no way to know their skill level you are for the most part solo diving until proven otherwise and you need to prepare according should you chose to do this which I would not recommend.

As far as safety, wow thats a tough one.

Personally if i was to give advise to my daughter in your situation I would tell her this.

-Ask your instructor who they would recommend, they often know a lot of people looking to dive and need a buddy.
-Go to some local dive shops and hang around a bit, you might find someone there that would fit your needs.
-See if there are any local clubs, there is safety in numbers.

Regards

I always take new buddies to a local site that I know as well as the back of my hand for a shallow, not too complicated dive.

I don't know them, they don't know me, easy does it. :)

If I begin a dive and realize that I don't feel comfortable with this other diver possibly because of their behavior, would it be bad form to stop the dive?

I just wanted to address this specifically. It is OK, under ANY circumstance, for ANY reason, for ANY diver to stop (call/thumb) the dive. Whether your regulator breaks, the dive conditions look bad, viz is crap, or you just don't quite feel up to it after getting in the water, if you want to end the dive, you end it, and everyone needs to be OK with this. There should be no vetoing the thumb signal.

If you're diving with more than one buddy, you should also decide ahead of time how to handle this situation. Does everyone go up? Do you ascend and go back alone and let them continue/finish the dive? You just need to have a plan so there's no confusion at depth as to what to do.

If your buddy refuses to go up, you've learned that 1) you don't want to buddy with this person in the future, and 2) now you need to make a decision. Chances are, if you're thumbing the dive, you really don't want to continue it, so all things being equal, I would take the chance of surfacing and getting back to shore alone - you're not abandoning your buddy, they already abandoned you.

Are there precautions I should take to keep myself safe under water, just in case they aren't safe once we get down there?

Are there any safer options to finding dive buddies?

Thanks for any guidance you can provide!
Sherry

First of all...welcome to the site. You and I are nearly next door neighbors (I am in John's Creek).

Probably a reaffirmation of what has already been said, but let me say what is most important first...if you choose to thumb a dive, and your buddy refuses...then you a) should go ahead and surface (your safety should always come first against whatever their desire is), and b) I would find a new dive buddy.

I think the question about whether or not to dive with someone based on behavior is also a fair one. First, and this is my personal opinion...I take my obligation to the person I am diving with seriously. Having said that, my attitude on any dive...irregardless of how well I know my diving partner is very simply "I have no back up, and any problem I have will require me to rescue myself." Anything that happens beyond that is pure bonus.

I have been diving a bit north of 30 years now, and I can only remember maybe a handful of times where I refused to dive with someone. One time was this past July on a liveaboard where the person in question thought that it was vitally important that they make the deepest possible dive no matter what. At one point this person surfaced with the person they had been diving with and asked me why their computer was "acting weird" and what I saw was they had put themselves in decompression due to RNT being excessive from repetitive dives and stacking a deep dive on top of it, and didn't know it. The diver had done a 15 foot hang for 5 minutes, but still blew what the computer told them to do. Luckily the diver had 2 things going for them...first the computer was a brand known for very conservative algorithms, and second they were not DCI symptomatic (in other words the diver was lucky). The charter captain required that the diver not enter the water for 24 hours. I was approached by that person afterwards and asked if I would dive with them and after talking with them about what they wanted to do on the next dive, I simply said "No thank you".

Most of my diving now is technical diving, however if you wish, send me a PM. I dive pretty regularly with a dive shop as a "tag along" on some of their shops dives that are recreational (which goes to my second rule - Any diving is better than not diving). Generally when they are running an open water class, you will find "tag alongs" going...and while the instructors are over working with the students the rest (some instructors, some new divers, and some in between) are diving for fun or for skills development/practice. They go to various sites...including Ginny Springs, Vortex, and others you probably have been at or at least heard of. Some of them are weekend trips and some are day trips...just depends on what they have going.

Last edited:
I'll put my spin on the personal safety question, you've got a lot of good dive advice already.

First of all scuba is an equipment intensive sport and requires training in the use of that equipment. Mr. Rapist has to go to a lot of trouble and expense THEN he has to be local to you in order to make meeting up for a "dive" feasible. That takes the odds of you becoming a victim down pretty far, they generally aren't going to work that hard for a victim...I might actually be flattered if they did...seriously though...

Focus on prevention. Scubaboard is a GREAT place to meet buddies because you can research them. You can look up their posts and get an idea of their online persona. You can often figure out who their dive buddies are then send them a PM asking about the person. I've received PM's like that about people it was clear I knew. Happily I've always been able to give a positive review, I've been around here quite some time and have met lots of Scubaboarders in person. I've found them to be friendly and helpful and have never questioned my safety even when meeting in the wee hours of the morning and preparing to drive to a dive site a couple hours away, alone, with a male I never laid eyes on until right before we packed my stuff in his vehicle. (Remember, the guy might be a rapist but you might be an axe murderer. That safety thing goes both ways :wink:)

Meet them at a popular dive spot where other divers will be present, you don't have to know them you just want a place with witnesses. I prefer a site I'm familiar with. Any guy who suggests a 2am meeting at a lake you've never heard of should be considered suspect until proven otherwise :D Me? I would still meet him but I'd be carrying an axe :eyebrow:

Now get out there and get some diving in!
Ber :lilbunny:

love that answer, ber! i, myself, prefer knives, but whatever. :wink:

enjoy your new hobby, sherry! i hope it becomes an enjoyable obsession.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom