Split fins or not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would consider a good go between fin the Mares Volo Power for those that don't quite want to fully cross into the split fin realm or vice versa. You wouldn't have to sacrifice certain kick preferences nor worry about losing too much power (as so many claim).

It's a matter of partiality...I think they're all great depending on your mood, the dive, environment, and basically what appeals to your taste.

IMO, I like both styles. I'm not partial one way or the other. I decide based on how I feel before a dive.

Hey Grish,

See if you can get your hands on a pair of MorFins. They are the best fins I've ever used and I've tried tons of fins over the last 25 years. Some fins really suck...like the old Dacor Turbo Flex's (I used to call them theleg breakers), some are easy, like splits, some are wierd (like Scubapro Sea Wiings). None compare to MorFins. A very easy kick, good speed, low muscle strain make these my new favorites!

Look what the fast fish use to maneuver around. MorFins look like fast fish! Fast fish are fast because of their shape and their efficient design helps them move easily with minimal effort. That's what most divers need help with. Moving efficiently with minimal effort. Try the MorFins, you'll be amazed! I certainly was!

The thing about fins is people like what they like. Many have tried every thing out there and will comment on them, others have tried one type and will still comment on them all. The point being is that only you can decide what will work best for you. There is just so much information out there that promotes or rips apart each type that it gets confusing at best. I have personally owned all three types and prefer blades but I have big strong legs (comes from spending the last 7 years in a crouched position catching for my daughter and skiing) but I could easily see how blades could be tough on people with out strong legs. There are times when my legs have been a little tired at the start of a dive and I could feel the burn. However for me none of them compares to the shear power of a large blade, others will swear splits are more powerfull and for them that just may well be but I can not confirm that with my experience. As for the force fins, I have them and really like them, they work as prescribed once you get by the small learning curve but I will say if you want to try them and are bound and determined they are not going to work, well then they are not going to work. I don't really know why I don't dive them other than I dislike a fin with no feed back.

One other thing to keep in mind is that even within a fin group the sizes very greatly. When I first got my Jets (Size L) I really liked the way they felt and swam but I could not understand all the hype about how powerfull they were then I got the XL's and realized it was because most were talking about XL's and not Large's. The blade size is almost double, no wonder I was disappointed in them. I thought the Jets would be the last pair of fins I would ever need or want, then I tried the Hollis Tech fins, I love them and do not see myself taking the Jets off the shelf anytime soon.

Grish, your questions reflect the psychological impact of reading Scubaboard. It has given you doubts even though your splitfins are probably fine. However, if you really feel like the fins are giving you a free lunch, nothing is free, and that effort spells power; and you really want to feel like you are moving out strongly then get a stiff pair of splits like Atomic or Apollo XT.

The Force Fins are expensive, odd ball designs which bring little or nothing to the table except a religion of sorts (think Scientology). Having said that, the Forcefin Excellerator does reach speeds comparable to the top dogs, Apollo Biofin and Mares Avanti Super Channel but for more money, actually about ten times the price of the Mares fin.

If you really believe that the splitfins cannot do the weird stuff like frog kicking (huh?) then go with a set of paddles. The very best are the Aeris Mako and the aforementioned Super Channel. The Mares Quattro is also a pretty solid performer but comes with a price, it might harm your bac rate due to the strength required.

Without a doubt, the Apollo Biofin requires less energy when the diver is forced to go all out. The kicks required to drive forward have a narrow arc compared to the wide swath required for paddles, give less back strain and present less leg resistance to the water. Furthermore, the strength required with Apollos is so little that the slightly more rapid kick rate to drive the diver forward is of no consequence. You will always use less air with splits all else being equal.

The Force Fins are expensive, odd ball designs which bring little or nothing to the table except a religion of sorts (think Scientology). Having said that, the Forcefin Excellerator does reach speeds comparable to the top dogs, Apollo Biofin and Mares Avanti Super Channel but for more money, actually about ten times the price of the Mares fin.

Correction, the ForceFin Pro matches or exceeds the speed of the Bio-Fin XT and the Atomic Smoke on the Water. The ForceFin Excellerator is one of the fastest fins on the market. The only fins that I have found that match its speed is are the Picasso Team Blacks, the Omer C4, and the FF Extra. All of which are in the same price range as the FF Excellerator.

pescador- we have had this discussion before, YOU don't believe that they are as fast, but then again YOU HAVE NEVER USED THEM, spouting opinions based on 3rd of 4th hand ignorance is not knowledge.

Correction, the ForceFin Pro matches or exceeds the speed of the Bio-Fin XT and the Atomic Smoke on the Water. The ForceFin Excellerator is one of the fastest fins on the market. The only fins that I have found that match its speed is are the Picasso Team Blacks, the Omer C4, and the FF Extra. All of which are in the same price range as the FF Excellerator.

pescador- we have had this discussion before, YOU don't believe that they are as fast, but then again YOU HAVE NEVER USED THEM, spouting opinions based on 3rd of 4th hand ignorance is not knowledge.

I don't need grief from a Force Fin shill. However, your statements deserve a response for the benefit of newbies. Yes, the Excellerator is 0.1 km/hr faster than the Biofin. Congrats. The other Force Fins are nowhere near that performance level. You and Bob are more about propaganda and lawsuits than fins. FF's are a joke at the listed prices and only a fool would pay up for that stuff.

About the long fins, continuing development has made it possible for some long fins to live up to their hype but we can maybe agree they are not for SCUBA. I'm not even sure they are the right stuff for freediving considering the equally impressive innovations in other types of paddle fins which make them better for surface swimming and good or better for anything deeper except record attempts.

I am not sure where you read the 0.1km/hr faster comparison of the Excellerators verse the BioFins. At the testing that I have list the FF Pro as 0.1mph faster than the Bio-Fin XT and the Smoke on the Water. The Excellerator listing at 0.3mph faster and the Extra 0.4mph faster. but then again that study data hasn't even been published yet. If you are reading the undercurrent thing, that was a single diver, with no controls whatsoever, good for representative data, but by no means truly meaningful.

and I am more than willing to bet, that the "divers" that you have had to help would have been in the same situation no matter what fin they were using, its more likely that it is simply a matter of they are not a strong as you

I have noticed that the many discussions of whether splits are right devolve into an argument over Force Fins. I admit that I was intrigued by the fervent belief that the Force Fin crowd has in them, but I could not find them anywhere to try and they are prohibitively priced.

The truth is that many divers, especially the new ones, walk into a local lds and are presented with a split v. paddle choice. Force Fins, Mantarays, etc are not even there to be considered.

So lets try and stick to the real topic: splits v. paddles

P.S. I got a great deal on a set of Atomics with springs and I will be reporting on them as soon as I get them in the water.

I have split fins (Apollo Bio XT's). I have paddle fins. I have force fins! Heck, I've bought and sold a bunch of fins in my quest to find the perfect fin.

My conclusion? Try them out, and see what you like. But when I say TRY them out, I mean, buy them, and wear them more than a few dives.

Do that, and then dive what you want. I still keep splits, paddle, and force fins in my tub at home, but don't generally travel with more than 2 sets if that.

And that is all I will say about THAT! :eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom