First computer choice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paladin049

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey, folks. If I may pick your brains a bit...I'm looking at getting my scuba unit set up, and was wanting some advice on a first computer. I'll be diving in Central Texas, and the Caribbean. I just got my OW and will be taking my AOW next month. I'm wanting AI, nitrox-capable (for the future). The instrument console I was using in class required you to flip the unit to see the pressure gauge, and I didn't much care for that layout. I'd prefer to have all my info - and compass - on the same side of the console, accepting the larger footprint that dictates. Now the FUN part...not breaking the bank!! That translates as under $800 if at all possible.

Any suggestions, and why?

Thanks much!

Have a look at the Oceanic PP2.All info on one side,AI, Nitrox and compass.
And best of all when your eyes get older you still can read the GIANT digits.:D

And staying well below $800

I have a wrist mounted Cochran EMC-16 Multi-gas NITROX computer you can turn features on as you progress. Large display, built in conservancy factor you set and a thousand other just cool features. Big screen with everything you need on it. Does rec or deco. Auto detects salt or fresh water. Mine has never let me down from Ice diving in Canada to Caribbean liveaboards and over 75+ dives.

emc_16.gif

I agree with 300bar. The Oceanic Pro Plus 2 is a sweet computer. It's the one I choose for my first computer. It is very easy to use. I think it took all of 5 minutes to learn. It does Nitrox, pre-dive planning and it can be as conservative or agressive as you like when it comes to dive times. You can get the PC link for downloading and the screen is super easy to read.

It is air integrated via hose. I highly recommend the quick disconnect (for taking it with you) and the compas if you want / need one.

Best of all the price is right around 650$ +/- depending where you go. Personally I recommend getting it from an authorized dealer. You may be able to save more using non-auth reps but thats your call. I hear Oceanic frowns upon that when it comes to warranty.

Information link: http://www.oceanicworldwide.com/p_computers_proplus.html

I love my PP2. :)

~ Sel

The Oceanic certainly does look like what I want. ST has it for under $800 with the compass and QD.

Thanks much!

what about a wrist mount AI with a separate compass. One wrist with the computer, and the other with the compass or clip to the bc.

PS

If you want a compact AI console with compass, the sunnto cobra AI with compass or the Aeris Atmos AI with compass. Both of them have the compass on the same side as the computer screen.

What do you all think of the Oceanic Veo 100NX? It is nice and simple, exactly what I want. I'm being quoted @ $430. Is this a fair price? I can't find much info online. If it matters, I'll be using it with a SP MK25/G250 reg.
Thx

I'm in the same boat, I had spent some time researching the products. I ended up getting the Suunto Cobra with compass. I like the Cobra 2, but the digital compass doesn't stay on very long and needs to be calibrated before each dive. I also hate calibrating it, I have the same compass design on my Suunto watch. Just my $.02, I'm also a very new diver and Suunto was pretty much my choice because the shop was a dealer and over the years I have been very impressed and satisfied with Suunto products.

Back
Top Bottom