Suit for warm and cold?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSW910

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey Guys ...

i was wondering what "mm" suit would best suited for my conditions? i live in NYC and prob will do some dives around here since NJ / Long Island has tons of places to dive and see .. but also travels to warmer places ..

but of course i've been reading that since im in the NE, i should get a 7mm, but if i use a 7mm, wouldn't that be too hot for the warmer dives? i just want to know if i can get away by using one wetsuit instead of having to own 2 suits ..

thanks ya'll !

I`m in Upstate NY, Near Lk George. We use 7mm suits for most of the year. Even in August below the thermo can still be pretty cold!

Depends on what you define as "warmer" dives. I live in California and dive the the Monterey area. Before I got my drysuit, I was diving a 7mm wetsuit. The water in Channel Island is warmer than the water in Monterey. I would be comfortable diving with a 7mm there. However, Cozumel water is warmer than Monterey as well. However, I would never wear a 7mm in Cozumel. For truly warm water, I have an inexpensive 2mm wetsuit.

BTW - ScubaToys has some Henderson 3mm wetsuit on close out for $108.

You're heading for a wardrobe, no one item will suffice except for 7mm booties. End of story, start shopping. For your local diving a 7mm suit with 2X on the core is where you probably want to go. At times a little less will do but it will severely limit your season if you under buy. A mild water suit can come after cold and warm are provided for. More info here
Pete

Depends on what you define as "warmer" dives. I live in California and dive the the Monterey area. Before I got my drysuit, I was diving a 7mm wetsuit. The water in Channel Island is warmer than the water in Monterey. I would be comfortable diving with a 7mm there. However, Cozumel water is warmer than Monterey as well. However, I would never wear a 7mm in Cozumel. For truly warm water, I have an inexpensive 2mm wetsuit.

BTW - ScubaToys has some Henderson 3mm wetsuit on close out for $108.

well, when i meant in warmer dives are places like FL keys, Bermuda, hawaii and etc .. and of course, around where i live which is NYC ..

and thank for the heads up on the clearance !

You're heading for a wardrobe, no one item will suffice except for 7mm booties. End of story, start shopping. For your local diving a 7mm suit with 2X on the core is where you probably want to go. At times a little less will do but it will severely limit your season if you under buy. A mild water suit can come after cold and warm are provided for. More info here
Pete

Thanks Pete .. after reading your link .. it made alot of sense and after speaking to a few LDS .. its made clear to me what needs to be done ..

thanks ya'll !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom