Transporting tanks in your vehicle...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hope that the fact that my scuba gear is property of my "business" dosnt make my carrying of tanks a "commercial operation"

Just place the tanks sideways in your car or truck. That way if you have valve shear, then pedestrians and on coming cars take the hit.
In my convertable, I can only put the tanks sideways, but I can put 3 into the trunk. In my truck, my tank rack is built to take the tanks sideways as well.

That's the way I carry 'em. Sideways. I've dome my own informal poll of 3 LDS's and was surprised to find that the general attitude is "it doesn't really matter".

It would be nice if scuba tanks had a threaded shoulder to accept a serious valve protector like my oxy-acetelyne bottles have. I test dropped (from about 3 feet, onto concrete) an empty O2 bottle on its protective cover and it just went boing! No damage. So how about it, tank manufacturers? I'd pay a few bucks more for tank with a steel valve cap. Wouldn't affect tank weight, as it would be left in the car.

Smiffy,
The thread has been dead for 4 years. The link is likely equally as dead.

I used to just "throw them in the trunk" and go. Then I followed someone driving my car and noticed the "pimple" on the side of the trunk. It took me about two hours (yep - I'm slow at times) to realize it was a tank that slid across the trunk. The "pimple" was the same size as the tank valve. Now I need to find out how to secure them in the trunk. I have a Toyota Solara with a full sized spare. No room to mount hold down's. Anybody in the same scenario?

And it's the only damage on my car - RATS!

I saw this the other day. It is some testing done by the Swiss Fire Servce (rough translation) of tanks with broken valves. The final demonstration is a safety valve. I hope the link works.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is what I use.
DSC04320%20(Small).JPG

If you only see a red X, right click on it and click Show Picture

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom