Wrist mounted digital compass?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DMdoogie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I know that some computer manufacturers are integrating a digital compass into their computers. Does anyone make stand-alone, wrist mountable digital compass?
Dmdoogie

No that I know of.

Why would you want a digital compass when analogue compasses are so much more reliable

I think I would love a compass that you didn't have to constantly monitor the angle and check whether the card/needle is hung. Might a digital compass overcome this limitation of standard compasses?

I'm not familiar with any of the available digital compasses, but would be why I might want one.

The Suunto SK7 is the compass that sets the bar in the dive industry. The angles it functions at does not cause hangup issues. What many people will do is mount one into a DSS (Deep Sea Supply) bungee mount. That setup is the standard in the tech diving industry and very common with recreational divers, especially where navigation is important.

I personally see no need for a digital compass, and would NOT want one.

I'm also curious about how good the top-of-the-line digital wrist unit compasses are these days, including the ones only for dry use? (I assume the waterproof ones are behind the curve...)

Do they indicate true north (earth's rotational axis) instead of just the magnetic north?

Is their accuracy compromised by various metals in the surroundings as can happen with analog compasses?

Is 'balancing the needle' an issue? (As I understand it, magnetic fields vary by latitude, so most analog compasses are "balanced" for 1 of 5 zones to account for the specific magnetic field within that latitude, so that the needle doesn't dip excessively, and consequently doesn't stick.)

What do top the top professional explorers use these days (sponsorship deals aside, if even applicable)?

Last edited:
I think we have coved this issue before.

I have D9 integrated a digital compass. It is a gimmick. Why?

1. You need to calibrate it whenever you go to the new location. If there is a magnetic or metal object nearby you, it affects accuracy of the compass.

2. It shows the number (Pros), but while you are maneuvering in UW, it really bothers with changing up/down numbers. That is, it is so sensitive (Cons).

3. The display doesn't last long (about two min.), so you have to push the button as many as you need.

4. For an exploring project, most common method is to use the compass with the plate. Put the plate with compass on the subject (such as on the top of wreck), and read the angle or take a picture of it. That's what we used to for a scientific project.

5. Depending on the zones, there might be 5 degree difference. For most rec/tec divers, this difference is minimal, even most divers can't notice it. Can you swim straightly to the target in UW? Your way of swimming is more out of allowable range.

6. Another common method is to use a surface marker with GPS. However, this method has an observational error as well because we can't expect that a line is straight up to the surface.

I know US NAVY and Hi-Tech company (including a construction company) are using a digital compass, but it isn't a portable one.

Just my 2 bar.

Might a digital compass overcome this limitation of standard compasses?

Yes - they can, but it's more expensive. The error comes from the fact that the magnetic lines will be cutting the compass at an angle. The compass needs to know what this angle is to work properly, as it has to compensate for this. You need another sensor (accelerometers) to measure this angle.

Often this is called "tilt compensation". You can compensate at least +/- 60 degress of tilt this way.

I dive the Suunto SK7 and also have the Suunto D6 with the digital compass. Never use the digital. Too sensitive, too hard to read. I'm not sure how reliable it is either. I do not have a problem with the Suunto SK7 getting hung.

Yes, please don't waste yr money on a digital compass. Some things digital just have yet to catch on the technological bandwagon, the digital compass...one of them. You'll be spending way too much money for very substandard equipment that will perform like $#@*!. Trust from the experience of SBer's. As you've probably already noticed, the SK7 is a pretty popular choice, I use it myself and believe in my opinion it's the best compass I've ever owned or used.

I dive the Suunto SK7 and also have the Suunto D6 with the digital compass. Never use the digital. Too sensitive, too hard to read. I'm not sure how reliable it is either. I do not have a problem with the Suunto SK7 getting hung.

I have exactly the same set up as Maui Bound. The Suunto SK7 is much better, and it will give you the whole picture of North, South, East, and West. Some how it gives me more the sense of direction with the regular compass. If you can get a bungee mounting from Deep Sea Supply for the SK7, the set up will be perfect.

happy diving:D

Back
Top Bottom