Blue Springs Flood Photos and Story

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The water has been tested by the Shelby County Health Dept., it tested exceptional according to the Health Dept., I do have a copy of the report which was faxed to us Midwest Scuba Center in Avon.

The water has been tested by the Shelby County Health Dept., it tested exceptional according to the Health Dept., I do have a copy of the report which was faxed to us Midwest Scuba Center in Avon.

Could you pls put a copy on here?

thanks nonsick diver
scott

tdk1956 ... I assume you're Tom Kepler. Thanks for the information. Can you post any data or information from the report to put folk's minds at ease?

Could you pls put a copy on here?

thanks nonsick diver
scott

I agree! The one I have seen a copy of did not tell squat about what was tested, where samples were taken from and how many samples were taken. All it had was a <1 in a box, which tells us nothing.

I would love to dive there, but I am still skeptical and don't want any contaminating of myself and my gear.

So Jim what are the details? :D

I did two dives at Blue Springs today. It looks like they are continuing to work hard to fix things up. They are still working primarily on the central beach and south road. They were bulldozing the road while I was there.

I parked and entered via the NW entry. The parking lot is almost all above water now, but it looks like the water still needs to go down 1-2 more ft. The large, main dock on the NW entry is still not fixed. Entry on that side is tough but you can go in by the older, smaller dock that was to the right of the larger one. Alot of water grass/weeds have grown up in that area probably due to a lack of divers entering the water there. There are a few picnic tables that can be used for gear assembly and doning, but the gear stand is gone as are 3-4 of the other picnic tables that used to be on that side.

Visibility is really hit or miss. There are areas where it's 2-3" (had to have my computer right up in my face to read it) while other areas are 20-30'. The visibility on the two platforms by the NW entry was 10' or so. The platforms are covered with mud, silt and moss. The visibility isn't consistent. It's not like it's good above a certain depth and bad below. There are just areas with a lot of suspended silt and other areas without any, without regard to depth.

As far as temps, they seem to be on the low side, probably due to the low visibility limiting sunlight penetration. While the surface temps seem to be in the upper 70s, temps around 20-25' were consistently in the low to mid 60s.

All in all it does appear to be coming back. There was a small class over on the central beach and 7 of us diving from the NW parking area while I was there. I was surprised to see so many divers there.

Did they have a water quality test posted?

I didn't see any. I did talk to a guy from east of Cinci who used to be a regular. He hasn't been back since the flood. He was waiting to hear water test results. According to him the results show e-coli at an amount less than the standard for drinking water. I can't confirm this as I didn't see any test results nor would I probably be able to interpret them if I saw them. It was good to hear though that this gentleman, after talking with Rick about the results of the testing by the health department, decided to come back and dive BS. He actually had been diving regularly at Joe's most recently. It sounded like he was planning on coming back to BS again on a regular basis. He's a very experienced diver and seemed like an intelligent, well informed guy. It's anecdotal I know, but it's consistent with the post by Midwest Scuba above.

If I get sick I'll be sure and let everyone know. Consider me your guinea pig. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom