Setting up new regs...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do carry two small, high quality adjustable wrenches in my travel kit, which, if very carefully adjusted, will do the job of changing hoses, etc, without damage.

All my hand tools are S&K, (made in the USA). A friend of mine sells them, he's like a second dad to me and gives me tools for my b-day.

Thanks for all of the replies. I figured it would be pertty brainless, just wanted to make sure. :dork2:

I know this is elementary to an experienced tech, but make sure to test the reg on a tank in water before using. I put mine in the pool and look for leaks whenever I make any modification or adjustment. Most dive shop techs I know don't do this. They pressurize the system and "listen" for leaks.
DMDoogie

I know this is elementary to an experienced tech, but make sure to test the reg on a tank in water before using. I put mine in the pool and look for leaks whenever I make any modification or adjustment. Most dive shop techs I know don't do this. They pressurize the system and "listen" for leaks.
DMDoogie

You can also mix up a solution of dish detergent and water then brush it around the hose connections, any leaks will show up as bubbles. Then just rinse it off.

I don't know how hard it is to do with the newer regulators, but install the pressure gauge in the high pressure port on the first stage regulator first. This will prevent sticking a low pressure hose in the HP port and blowing a hole in it.

Been there, done that, got the tee shirt.

Thanks for all of the replies. I figured it would be pertty brainless, just wanted to make sure. :dork2:

I wouldn't go that far.

As a retired USAF Avionics technician (36 years on various fighters) and a professional regulator technician now, I both agree with the "right tool for the job" concept (and an adjustable wrench is almost NEVER the right tool) and am shamed that others in my profession would do a jackleg job on a customer's reg when putting it together. I'm not going to say I've never used a pair of pliers where a wrench would have been better, but I can say it's been quite rare.

My shop assembles and bench checks new regs before the customer gets to take them home. We instruct the customer on the features of the new reg, and invite them to join us in the pool for free to get used to it. I would think any professional shop would do the same thing. If I were the customer I'd expect it.

I've seen lots of brand-new regs come through that were NOT properly adjusted for best performance underwater. Those who assemble their new regs would be well-advised to at least check the IP of the first stage before diving with it.

I just ordered a new regulator, octo and SPG/console this weekend for my son! :D
It seems to me that it should be pertty straightforward when it comes to assembling the three components: make sure that all hoses have an "o" ring and tighgten down snugly. Am I missing something here, or is that it? Thanks in advance for your help:confused:

Installing the hoses isn't rocket science, however the reg might need a little adjusting in order to breathe well. Some tend to breathe a little hard right out of the box, and a little tweak is nice.

If you ordered it from a dealer, this is typically free and done before you get it. If you mail-ordered it, you might need to bring it somewhere for service if you're not happy.

Terry

If I don't have silicone grease for the o rings, I just chew on them a bit... hand tighten and then about 1/4 to 1/2 past hand tight with correct wrench.

Back
Top Bottom