Prescription Mask for DM swim

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divezonescuba

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello:

I was wondering whether or not you can use a prescription lens mask when doing the 400 yard swim for the DM course.

Is a mask considered a swimming aid to the degree that it is not allowed?

Is it up to the individual instructor?

Thanks.

... when doing the 400 yard swim for the DM course. Is a mask considered a swimming aid to the degree that it is not allowed? Is it up to the individual instructor?
Interesting question, which really merits a call to PADI. I suspect that it ends up being an individual instructor prerogative in many cases. For example, I see swimming goggles (eyes only, no nose coverage) as permissable, but a scuba mask (nose coverage) being a swimming aid. Nonetheless, many other people see swimming aids only as devices that affect either flotation / bouyancy (wetsuit), breathing (snorkel), or propulsion (fins, webbed gloves).

Ugh, I can't imagine wanting to use a mask for an extended swim. At any rate, why do you think you'll need a prescription mask? Is your vision without a prescription really that bad that you wouldn't be able to see any lane lines or the edge of the pool?

When we checked with PADI a few years ago, they said goggles were OK for the swim, but not a mask. Another call on a different day might yield a different answer. We should have gotten it in writing.

Other agencies may vary.

edit: - If your concern is because your uncorrected sight risks slamming into walls and such, you might try contacts. If you can't tolerate contacts, use that as part of your rationale as you negotiate with your instructor and PADI.

Hello:

I was wondering whether or not you can use a prescription lens mask when doing the 400 yard swim for the DM course.

Is a mask considered a swimming aid to the degree that it is not allowed?

Is it up to the individual instructor?

Thanks.
Get prescription swim goggles made. Campmor sells them.

When we checked with PADI a few years ago, they said goggles were OK for the swim, but not a mask. Another call on a different day might yield a different answer. We should have gotten it in writing.
I suspect the same answer would be given today. Thanks for the info.

Ok, I called PADI today. The operator directed me to the training department.

The answer to the mask issue was that the instructor should make accommodations for people who need corrective lenses or have sensitivity to chlorine. The subject of masks versus goggles did not come up.

He said the primary intent was not to allow people to use fins.

Interesting question, which really merits a call to PADI. I suspect that it ends up being an individual instructor prerogative in many cases. For example, I see swimming goggles (eyes only, no nose coverage) as permissable, but a scuba mask (nose coverage) being a swimming aid. Nonetheless, many other people see swimming aids only as devices that affect either flotation / bouyancy (wetsuit), breathing (snorkel), or propulsion (fins, webbed gloves).

And so does WJ. I could not use my mask during the swim, goggles were fine but no mask.

There are also swim masks, which are smaller than scuba masks and don't have nose pockets. These are great for people who are tired of having goggles crammed into their eye sockets. I currently use swim masks from Aquasphere and Tyr. I don't know if your instructor would be OK with that. :shrug:

Personally, I prefer to constantly exhale through my nose to keep water out and the CO2 "breathe response" to a minimum so the scuba mask would really bother me over time, but I know triathletes who still use the old-school nose clips.

The irony is that any long surface swim as a DM would probably be done with a scuba mask IRL, right? :idk:

Great subject. I AM tired of my dang goggles sucking out my eyeballs or leaking. I have a great fitting mask and it would be nice to do the 400M swim with it.

I also use a nose clip with my goggles...guess that would be a problem too, huh?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom