Persuading my wife to take Rescue diver course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I should probably add that when we were in our OW class, we asked about continuing our dive education. We were told the next most useful was Nitrox and Rescue. Rescue for obvious reasons, and Nitrox because we are in the midwest and most wreck dives are in that range.

You could always find another couple to split off with- wives together- that way she would have to be independent of you and may not be as intimidated.

Lots of great posts here, just wanted to add one more opinion to the mix. As a 5'2, 130lb diver, I was also extremely worried about the physical demands of the rescue diver course. And while there are some pretty physically demanding moments - getting a 6'2 250lb male diver out of the water - overall the course was more mentally challenging than anything. By the end, I LOVED it and it is still one of my most favorite courses. Like several others said, the class helps enhance your overall awareness so that you can spot potential problems and solve them before they become full-scale issues, which is really important. But what I would say to encourage your wife the most is this - by then end of the class, she should feel SO much more comfortable diving with you or with others as she'll have the training to handle a number of rescue scenarios. And let's face it, if you guys are going to be diving a good bit, you will most likely encounter at least one or two situations where those skills will be needed. Good luck!

At 5'2" and 102 lbs, I passed the class. The nice thing was that I was not only expected to haul my spouse out of the water, tow him to the boat, etc., I was made to do it with the other divers (all males) also. I especially liked working with my husband during the "panicked diver" situation. Everyone else was taking it easy on each other and he ripped my regulator out of my mouth, knocked my mask off, and I was still able to get him on his back. I was even able to haul him out of the water and up onto the boat.

If your wife has the right instructor, they will know that physically your wife may have some limitations. My instructor was able to give advice based upon those situations (and it really helped with the "I'm not strong enough to do this" thought). Of course then again, they might just P**S her off enough that she can do pretty much anything!!! ha ha

It's a really good course to take. It takes some of the "what if's" that go on in your head during diving and puts them into perspective. I would recommend it highly.

My daughter was 14 years old and about 4'11" about 90 lbs in a class with 5 adult males, all of whom were good sized fellas. She had no problem with the class in any way.

:cheers:Normally, trying to talk someone into learning something is a very bad idea, but givin the number of great posts here from women, speaking from experience, that rule obviously does not apply.

Any reason I would have would pale compared the already great advice, particularly that about being able to help in the event your buddy needs help.

But two suggestions... if she takes the course, make sure she takes it with someone else. I would not teach a rescue course where the husband and wife (or boyfriend/girlfriend) stayed together, as this is about learning to be competent to not just take care of yourself, but to keep yourself safe, while helping someone in need (including that strong, confident significant other).

The second is to use this as an excuse to train and practice... something that makes diving more fun. Physical conditioning is always a great idea, but in this case, it can make up for a lot of size difference.

Puffer Fish:
Normally, trying to talk someone into learning something is a very bad idea, but givin the number of great posts here from women, speaking from experience, that rule obviously does not apply.

Any reason I would have would pale compared the already great advice, particularly that about being able to help in the event your buddy needs help.

I agree with everything you just wrote Puffer Fish. Very well put!!! I agree it is a bad idea to try to try to talk someone into something, but the ladies came to bat and gave great advice and support.

super7, I would simply encourage your wife to read theses great replies, then leave it to her to make a decision.

One of the best reasons to take a Rescue course is to make yourself a better diver and be able to save yourself if the need arises. I just finished my course and had a ball doing it (having a great instructor and fun classmates makes it even more fun). We all have limitations to some extent, and rescuing another diver is done in that context. No one can expect anyone to do more than he/she physically can. There are methods and techniques to handle situations one would otherwise think they are incapable of doing, but the coursework and practice involved can help you determine what your limitations are. It should not be intimidating. On the contrary, the Rescue course is empowering. Once taken, you'll never look at diving the same way again. It makes you more aware of your own and others' diving. Good luck to you and your wife.

I'm 54, 5'4" and 120lbs, and there were things in Rescue I just couldn't do -- I can't carry someone bigger than I am, but I dragged her up the beach far enough to be able to do CPR if it were necessary. My regular dive buddy, who is 6' and dives doubled 130s, knows full well that I would have difficulty manhandling him in the event of an emergency (although I can do what is necessary IN the water). It's part of what we understand about how we dive.

Rescue was a superb class -- So good that I have volunteered several times to go play "victim", in order to keep refreshing the skills.

I had thought I would not take rescue for a couple of years, based on the same fears as the OP's wife. (I'm 5'3", 125 lbs.)After reading this thread, I feel much better about it. Maybe I'll only wait a year now.:D

I did find this thread to be very encouraging, and at least I'll think about doing it sooner. I do worry about what I would do in an emergency situation, although from listening to my husband and others talk about the class, I have some clue about what I should do.

I DON'T want to be the only person to ever fail rescue.:shakehead:
Has that ever happened?

Rhonda

I am with the rest of the women here... the class is excellent. I was also the only female (I'm not tiny..5'9"), but my male victims were all larger and heavier than me. My instructor was very helpful.. giving me advice on how to drag... lift and tow them using whatever worked for me. I'm sure it wasn't pretty, but in a real situation you will do what is necessary and use the techniques that work for you. I don't know if anyone has ever "failed" rescue. I would think a good instructor would have you practice and perform the tasks and skills until you are successful. I had to repeat quite a few of them, but feel much more confident now that I have that knowledge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom