Boat's Emergency O2 Kit is "Out of Air"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At the end of the day, it is not going to be the boat captain who is breathing your air or needing O2 first aid. The truth is that this could happen anywhere. Personally, I keep my own O2 kit in my for when I dive. However, as mentioned earlier, I cannot take it with me when I fly south. Something about the airlines not wanting a compresses gas cylinder full of a strong oxidizer bursting and causing explosive decompression. What I am saying is that it is up to each individual to ensure their own safety. It really is a good idea for EVERY diver to reach at least the rescue level. Knowing when and what to do with o2 could very well be the difference between life and death. I am glad that everything worked out reasonably well with this situation, but things could have gone the other way.

This is a great point and one that I thought of. Unfortunately there was no one on board this boat that was diving NITROX. I think you are smart to mention that NITROX is the next best thing to O2 if you want to get a diver a higher oxygen concentration. The highest concentration available would be the obvious choice. Unfortunately, like you said, not an option on this dive.
32% Nitrox is most common so if you have it, it's better than 21% air - but not a lot. I missed that when an O2 failed on me while I was assisting a diver once, but I didn't feel it was a big miss. But then, we were 5 minutes from an ambulance, and Coz chambers are ok I guess. I've never toured one really. That diver felt so much better after I had him drink a quart of salted kool-air (he was hungover) that he walked off on this on so I stayed with my group.
I see a dive boat operator as a floating taxi - his job is to get me to and from the site. If you decide in your own personal risk assessment that you NEED oxygen provision then either check before signing up with them or provide it yourself.
Really? We're used to expecting such over here - but then we're generally assured such and if not - I'd ask. Now I'll start asking to check and we'll see how much grief I get.
At the end of the day, it is not going to be the boat captain who is breathing your air or needing O2 first aid. The truth is that this could happen anywhere. Personally, I keep my own O2 kit in my for when I dive. However, as mentioned earlier, I cannot take it with me when I fly south. Something about the airlines not wanting a compresses gas cylinder full of a strong oxidizer bursting and causing explosive decompression. What I am saying is that it is up to each individual to ensure their own safety. It really is a good idea for EVERY diver to reach at least the rescue level. Knowing when and what to do with o2 could very well be the difference between life and death. I am glad that everything worked out reasonably well with this situation, but things could have gone the other way.
You carry one aboard locally? Gawd, I already look like a dive shop boarding with my camera bag, pony bag, and beverage & first aid bag.

in my experience the moment you leave the US, you should NOT assume to have full O2 bottles on board and you should politely but firmly ask to personally see it before you begin your dive series.

as a matter of fact, you can't even assume it in the US! Not too long ago I dragged somebody out of the water in Catalina Island (California) and the dive shop on scene brought out their O2 bottle quickly, only to find out that it was empty. Luckily paramedics arrived soon and handled it.

If you dive close to home, and dive enough. invest in a small portable DAN kit! For traveling divers, just ask the boat crew!!! I never met unhelpful dive crew.

She explained that she was feeling dizzy, faint and disoriented with tingling in her extremities.

The only other people on the boat were the Captain and Deckhand. The two divemasters surfaced a few minutes later and I explained to them what was going on and recommended that we administer O2 to the sick diver. They agreed (reluctantly for some reason). [/I]

This is a continuing problem in todays dive market. Operators with no O2 available at all, operators with inadequately maintained equipment and training. In this case it is strange for the refusal to administer O2. (maybe they already knew that the bottles where empty), Any diver surfacing presenting with S&S which cold be a DCS/DCI incident should be administered O2 and refereed to a Diving Medical Physician. What is of concern is that it appears that the Captain had no idea of what to do. As persons remaining on-board should be able to deal with any emergency that may arise.

It is certainly very prudent to ask the question before you go and even more prudent to ask to if you can check. On the live-a-boards I ran during the initial tour the locations of all safety equipment was pointed out and how to use. I was never asked in all my years by anyone to check the O2 unit but would have been more that happy to show anyone who may have asked. Nothing better than an independent check - can certainly circumvent any problems later.

What we need is more discerning divers, this would help to make operators fulfill the basic requirements.

Hmm...

My post was edited for namesake. I like this shop, and it was an unfortunate overlook, and luckily no one was hurt due to it.

Last edited:
I dive, I will have to disagree with you on your assumption that all of Mexico is a hell hole and not trust worthy to dive. I have hundreds of dives in Mexico and there are some really fantatic dive operators in that country. Saying a couple of years in Texas with the military has taught you all you need to know about Mexico is a little narrow minded. I equate it to saying "hey, I have a C card, so I know all I need to know about diving", nether of these statements make sense. We have bad dive operators here in the US and we have everything in between from bad to fantastic. So lets take this for what it is written for, a lesson learned at a very inexpensive cost. O2 is cheap, life isn't.

Shawn
"bubble, bubble, bubble"

It shouldnt say Junior Member next to my name, it should say "Editing Queen"

Last edited:
I've been diving in a few places around the globe over the past several decades and have seen shoddy operators here and there just about everywhere - no place I can think of escapes the indictment, including the good old USA.
As for Mexico, I'm especially fond of COZ and Akumal and Ixtapa... I have my favorite top-notch operators (only fishing and no diving in Ixtapa so far), marvelous restaurants, delightful warm sincere people and businesses I deal with there. Definitely no hell hole.
Uncle Sam sent me to several hell holes over the years; none were in Mexico.
E.

It shouldnt say Junior Member next to my name, it should say "Editing Queen"
:lol:​
Getting an abundance of help are ya? :D

While there was not a dire need for it in hindsight, I struggle to understand how you could rule out DCS even from the minimal amount of information (numbness/tingling in extremities, disorientation, lightheadedness) in my post. Regardless, I think everyone will agree that the bigger point is that fact that there was no O2 on the boat, especially when the bright green DAN O2 kit was at least IMO advertising that there was o2 available (my/our bad for not asking specifically if the cans were full).

My bad. I did miss the part about being the third dive. I was going on descent to 60' then surfacing at proper speed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom