Loss of Clark's Beach (aka: Secret Beach)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DEEPLOU

Contributor
Reaction score
Boynton Beach/ former Long Island, NY (THE ISLAND)
# of dives
1000 - 2499
For those who may not be aware, we Long Islanders are possably going to lose a great dive site, Secret Beach.
The following article appeared in Newsday a week or so ago: http://www.newsday.com/mynews/ny-lidive274234968apr27,0,6876465.story

The Long Island Divers' Association is asking all to help preserve this site.
Below is copy of e-mail sent those whose addresses the association does know.

As many know, there was an Article in Newsday last week generally supportive of keeping Secret Beach open. NOW is the time for action.

Below is the text of a letter I wrote to
Suffolk County Executive Steven Levy
100 Veterans Memorial Highway
Hauppague New York11788-0099

I have also written similar letters to

Suffolk County Legislator Michael Caracciolo
423 Griffing Avenue
Riverhead NY 11901

Commissioner Bernadette Castro
New York State Department of Parks
Albany, NY 12238

Southold Town Supervisor Joshua Horton
50395 Route 25
PO Box 1179
Southold, NY 11971

Mayor David E. Kapell
Greenport Village Hall
236 Third Street
Greenport, NY 11944

The one to Mr. Levy is duplicated below, the others appropriatly modified.

PLEASE consider sending similar letters. Writing letters is the single most important step in preserving the access to Clark's Beach. The price of a stamp can save your access.

Feel free to use as much of he content of the letter below as you would like. Individual letters are best, but merely cutting and pastng is better than nothing.

If we loose access to Secret Beach, the effect can be devistating. The time for making your feeling known is NOW. Please do not pass up this important opportunity and obligation.

Many Thanks
Steve Burke
President, LIDA (letter below)
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Honorable Steven Levy, County Executive
100 Veterans Memorial Highway
Hauppague, New York 11788-0099

Dear Mr. Levy

As you are aware, and as recently reported by Newsday, the Village of Greenport is contemplating the sale of Clark's Beach on the Long Island Sound. This proposed sale would be nothing less than a tragedy for the citizens of Suffolk County. The Long Island Divers Association, (LIDA), representing the interests of hundreds of recreational scuba divers on Long Island, urges the County in the strongest terms possible to preserve this most unique resource for the citizens of Long Island by purchase of the property and creation of public park land or otherwise preserving citizen assess to this area.
Clark's Beach is virtually the only public access to the Long Island Sound on the North Shore of Suffolk County. It is used for multiple purposes, including fishing, swimming and sun bathing. Most unique is its use as a site for recreational scuba diving and training for over 40 years.
As a scuba diving site, the area is irreplaceable. It has sufficient depth to satisfy qualification agencies training criteria, yet is both protected and safe. The area supports a huge variety of life for observation. Flat sandy stretches contrast with rocky and vegetation rich areas providing differing environments suited to various forms of underwater life. The area is ideal not only for open water qualification dives, but also for navigation and rescue training, so critical to the safety of all who enjoy the underwater environment. In addition, the adverse environmental impact of private development of the area is clear and obvious. The loss of one of the few remaining "open areas" on the North Shore would be an irreplaceable loss to Long Islanders.
Most significantly, the economic effects of a private takeover of this area would be devastating to the local scuba industry. Long Island is home to more than thirty dive shops and charter boats as well as scores of qualified independent scuba instructors. Loss of this singular North Shore training area would be destructive to these business and the families they support.
You have a unique opportunity and responsibility to help preserve this exceptional waterfront locale for the public. Please do all in your power to preserve this important and beautiful beach. Long Island needs more Parks and open areas, not more waterfront private estates.
Please keep us advised of any steps that can be taken to help preserve this access to Clark's Beach for the public. LIDA will fully support those efforts and will keep our large and active membership appraised of the efforts of those who support maintaining this assess, as well the position of those who do not help preserve Clark's Beach for the citizens of Long Island.

Respectfully,

In addition to letters, petitions are being gathered. If you would like to sign one, please stop at Long Island Scuba in Lindenhurst, (not sure who else has the petition at this time).
If you would like a copy of the petition to pass around in your circle, PM me and I will try to get copy to send u.

Hey all, a friend told me about clarks (secret) beach
And i have been reading all the hype about it, and it being shut down, and everything else.
All the posts I see are from way back in 2005.
Im dying to find out two things, NUMBER ONE, exactly where is it, how do i get to it.
and is it open again for diving.
any info would be awsome..
thanks
fred

Hey all, a friend told me about clarks (secret) beach
And i have been reading all the hype about it, and it being shut down, and everything else.
All the posts I see are from way back in 2005.
Im dying to find out two things, NUMBER ONE, exactly where is it, how do i get to it.
and is it open again for diving.
any info would be awsome..
thanks
fred

Take the Long Island Expressway to exit 73 (sign will say "Greenport, Orient Point"). This is Suffolk County Road #58. Take Suffolk County #58 to Northville Turnpike, (this is Suffolk County Road #43. Make a left and go North on #43 until Sound Ave. Make a right on Sound Ave (you are now heading East).
Take Sound Ave for about 20 miles. Sound Ave will become Middle Road (around the town of Mattituck). Middle Road becomes North Road (around the town of Southhold). You will be on a stretch of road that is right next to the water (Long Island Sound). You will see a "Greenport" sign on the right side of the road, this is 1.5 miles from the turn off. About a half mile before the turn off you will see the Sunset Motel on the left hand side of the road.
When you come to a dirt road on the left Side of the road, make a left on the dirt road, follow it down to the water. If you miss the dirt road (there is no sign), you will see a large sign for Eastern Long Island Kampgrounds (large flag) on the right. Just make a "U" turn and go back to the dirt road.

I believe it is open for diving, I believe but you need ahead of time "permission" because the gate is locked. I would call some local dive shops and ask them. I am scheduled to do my first dive there on Sunday, but think Hanna might say no.

The Long Island Divers Association currently manages access to Secret Beach. www.lidaonline.com If you would like to use it, get in touch and I will give you the particulars and the gate combination. bdklein's directions are right on except I believe that the Soundview Motel is on the left side of the road, on the water, and the Sunset is on the right a bit further up.
It's a great site, and as long as we keep it clean and the gate secured at all times except when actually entering and leaving we will continue to have unrestricted access.

LIDA will be having a beach clean-up at Secret Beach on Sunday, September 20th. The gate will be manned between 11 and noon for easy access, then locked. LIDA will provide a free BBQ and refreshments at noon followed by the beach clean-up. After the clean-up we will prepare to get in the water for the 3pm high tide. If you would like to participate please RSVP to me bill@island-diving.us or Bob Auteri rpa@splicetechnologies.com Hope to see you there!

Bill Pfeiffer
President, Long Island Divers Association

I would like to thank Fred for pointing out the fact that I had an obvious brain cramp when replying to his question. The date for the LIDA Secret Beach clean-up is SATURDAY, 9/20, not Sunday. Thanks!
BTW, if anyone can point out the procedure to edit a post I would certainly appreciate it!.............Bill

The Long Island Divers Association currently manages access to Secret Beach. www.lidaonline.com If you would like to use it, get in touch and I will give you the particulars and the gate combination. bdklein's directions are right on except I believe that the Soundview Motel is on the left side of the road, on the water, and the Sunset is on the right a bit further up.
It's a great site, and as long as we keep it clean and the gate secured at all times except when actually entering and leaving we will continue to have unrestricted access.

LIDA will be having a beach clean-up at Secret Beach on Sunday, September 20th. The gate will be manned between 11 and noon for easy access, then locked. LIDA will provide a free BBQ and refreshments at noon followed by the beach clean-up. After the clean-up we will prepare to get in the water for the 3pm high tide. If you would like to participate please RSVP to me bill@island-diving.us or Bob Auteri rpa@splicetechnologies.com Hope to see you there!

Bill Pfeiffer
President, Long Island Divers Association

I would like to thank Fred for pointing out the fact that I had an obvious brain cramp when replying to his question. The date for the LIDA Secret Beach clean-up is SATURDAY, 9/20, not Sunday. Thanks!
BTW, if anyone can point out the procedure to edit a post I would certainly appreciate it!.............Bill

you only have so long, hours most likely, to edit a post before the edit button dissappears.

so, is it safe to say in general, that secret beach is located in the pocket of the north and south forks of the island?

Secret Beach is located on the North side of the North Fork(Long Island Sound). Thanks for explaining what happens to that pesky edit button!......Bill

I have a few questions about Clarks Beach. First, is it still open to diving at this point? Second, I would like to come down to dive the site with my son, is the Sunset Motel a good place to stay or is there a better spot? Is there a LDS that we can go to for fills or should we plan on bringing all of our tanks? Finally is it a good weekend dive and what would the conditions typically be like this time of year (Oct.)? I would really like to dive it before it goes private, I see the information above and will contact LIDA if the plan comes together.

Hi Henry,
Sorry for the delay in replying but I have been away from the computer for a while. Secret Beach is open and no danger of being shut down. You can contact LIDA for access information. The diving there is usually very good through October although the North Fork traffic can be quite heavy during the fall season what with the wineries and pumpkin picking and all. The Beach is best dove at slack tide, although you can dive at any time as long as you are aware that the current can be pretty strong if you venture more than 100' feet or so from the beach. North winds can also make the conditions more difficult, so keep an eye on the weather.
Unfortunately, I can't tell you much about local hotels, I would suggest that you try the Soundview or the Sunset, both are within a mile of the site. Soundview Scuba is located within a few miles of the site(631 765 9515), give them a call to check their offseason hours. Hope this helps, if you have any other questions, feel free to get in touch.

Bill Pfeiffer
www.lidaonline.com

Back
Top Bottom