OW Cert Classes My first impressions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Satchmo72

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
First off, this is a great site and I have learned more in the last couple of weeks about Scuba from you all than I ever could imagine I would know.

I've taken up Scuba so i can go dive for my wife's wedding ring in the Lake of the Ozarks. I may find it, I may not but at least I will have learned how to do something I have always wanted to do.

I have been a competitive swimmer most of my life and am totally comfortable in the water whether it be a lake, river, ocean or pool. I had my first PADI cert class last Thursday and have come away with the following impressions.

1) Breathing underwater has to be one of the coolest feelings I have ever felt. After years of holding my breath it was a bit strange that first couple of breaths and then having the bubbles come up the side of your face. I had no issues with partial or total clearing of the mask. I did have some equalizing issues but I was still getting the hang of the the different methods. I felt at ease with everything we did.

2) So far this feels like it is a sport where good fitting, functioning equipment is key. I spent some time before the class started last Thurs and purchased my necessities. Mask,fins,snorkel and boots. I ended up with the Ion 4 mask in clear. It fit great, sealed well even with the long goat I had. I then found a nice set of Vipers that were a bit more than the Mares but they just seemed like they were built better. I say all this because the other girl that was in the class with me spent most of the pool time adjusting her mask, unable to stay down very long as it would fill quickly. In her defense it was borrowed and her cheekbones really never gave the mask a chance. I on the other hand had no mask issues whatsoever and loved the clarity and wide vision that the mask afforded me in comparison to my many years of swim goggle use.

3) There are not too many things down there besides regulator recovery that are going to be done very quickly. If I have a mask problem, no big deal, I'm still breathing under there. I have quickly learned "dont panic"

4) When the doctor said to me before that I have lungs like a horse, I now understand why. I did not realize how bouyant your lungs can make you. I was yo-yoing a bit and had to keep adjusting the BC, I have learned in the last week on Scubaboard that lungs can be used to fine-tune your depth control.

5) Competitive swim pools like the one we are doing our pool work in are cold!!!!!! I forgot how cold as now I am not swimming 10,000 yards. Towards the end of the night, I was on the surface listening to our next skill instruction and found myself feeling odd, teeth chattering and thought something may be wrong, it sure was, I was cold as heck. I do not have a wetsuit yet and underestimated the temp of the water and it's effects.

6) Do not use your BC to ascend when you are practicing alternative air. We were not told not to and it made sense since the 6' of water that we were in did not require decompression. If there is a problem, get up to the top quickly was my thought. Wrong. Circumstances actually dictated that we spent time in the pool before really going over the first chapter real well, I couldn't tell if the instructor was upset that I did it or if he was upset with himself that we skipped the first chapter reading and went right to the pool. With the time spent with the instructor so far, I have to think it might be that he was upset with himself for doing it but I could be wrong.

7) Having a patient, well versed instructor is very important if you are having a problem. The mask issues the other girl experienced showed me how much our instructor cared that she was comfortable.

I am psyched as my second class is tomorrow so I get to dive for my birthday!!!!!!

Just thought I would pass some of my impressions along for your entertainment.

Jeff

Last edited:
Hi Jeff,
Welcome to :sblogo: Scuba Diving, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! It's great to hear someone coming up through a class to be so psyched! Jeff, SB is full of great people and there are tons of advice just waiting for the asking. Just remember that there are generally more than one way to do things in scuba, so learn what your instructor is teaching first, then check out other ways. Never be afraid to ask questions. A good instructor will be happy to answer them.
Please keep in touch with us and let us know how you are doing. So far though, it sounds like you are on the right path.
Have Fun,
George
PADI MSDT

Welcome, welcome, the waters fine. jump in and go down now! I too am new to diving and agree totally with you about this site. Ask and you shall receive. Happy Birthday!!!!

Cool, man, welcome to the sport. Good fitting and defogged masks, and comfortable boots and fins are definitely a big plus for comfort level. Everything feels so weird at first that it's a huge distraction when things aren't sitting right. You learn to deal better with discomfort with time, but you also learn to avoid anything that makes you uncomfortable in the first place. I hope to see you at Mermet sometime.

Tom

Glad to hear you are enjoying the diving so much. I think it's easy sometimes to forget quite how cool it is (sorry if that sounds corny) and sometimes we all benefit from being reminded of that!

Welcome aboard and Happy Birthday!!!

It's an amazing thing to breathe underwater, and to float, isn't it? What a great birthday present to yourself!

Hi ...
wavey.gif
& Welcome to ...

:sblogo: ... :colours::colours:...
banana.gif

And a very Happy Birthday! NOW STOP RIGHT THERE!

If your trying to find a wedding ring at the Lake good luck!!!!! Hope it wasn't in the chanel. I'm hoping it's in not very deep water in a cove. Lake of the Ozarks is dark water. This means after about ten feet it's like opening your eyes in a dark room with no light whatso ever.

Diving dark water takes special training and alot of time underwater. You can get turned around so you really don't know which way is up ... no kidding. Then if it's around a dock all the fishing line thats down there is a trap waiting to happen besides dock cables etc. You have no back up to get you if something happens.

Depending on the time it's been down there it might have alot of silt on it. Maybe a metal detector is needed. Which futher compounds danger when you can't have distractions. So be smart don't dive for the ring. A salvage diver at the Lake might be worth it to have him give a try. But you stay out. Try diving Northfolk, Bull Shoals are Table Rock. See what vis is like at 3 to 10 feet before ever thinking about dark water.

Theres alot of people in here that would tell you the same thing ... but they don't know Lake of the Ozark. If you said diving the Mississippi in St louis they might get a clue. Ask the staff at your LDS if they know anything about the Lake.

Thanks all for the birthday wishes!! it was a long day that ended with me with a huge :D on my face!!!

Bob, I have had a diver down 2 weeks ago with a metal detector and he could not find it but....after talking with my wife and going back there, I think I put him on the wrong spot. He was using the 20ft circle method and I think I was off enough that he missed it.

He told me it is 25-28' deep with a little bit of silt but pretty much a mud flat bottom. It is actually about 50 off a dock with no cables and just a tree trunk farther up that he had to zigzag around but that was in the wrong spot. It is not in the middle of the channel and the spot where we dropped it is actually within a no wake zone near Camdenton.

Thank you for the pointers, the diver I sent down told me to call him when I come down to dive for it and he would help me out if I needed. If I find it, I find it but if I dont, I still learned a very cool sport in the process and got some good experience.

Thanks!!!!

Back
Top Bottom