Diving Southern Brasil: Floripa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thevalkyry

Queen of the Turtles
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Greetings all: I am headed to Curitiba and Floripa for Xmas and New Years to spend with family. I want to get a couple of days diving in while I am staying with my aunt. All of the posts seem to deal with spots in SP or further north. And I am already aware of the paradise that is Fernando de Noronha. If anyone has any info, knowledge, or advice about the south in general or Floripa/Ilha de Alvoredo in particular I would love to hear it. My portuguese, while not fluent, isnt too shabby so I dont necessarily need an English speaking operator. Obrigada gente!

Oi Thevalkyry:

I dived Arvoredo from the town of Bombinhas in April and was a bit disappointed with both the marine life and the 3-m visibility, which the dive crew said was the average there. I took a few underwater photos in Arvoredo: Bombinhas underwater

The following were my notes after some research, in case I decided to dive Arvoredo from Floripa, which I didn't, as it would be the same from Bombinhas:

- Sea Divers <www.seadivers.com.br> saídas diárias para Ilha do Arvoredo, Julio tel 48-3284-1535, R. Luiz Boiteux Piazza 6562, Ponta das Canas, Floripa. Baixa temporada 01Mar-20Dec: saída c/ 1 tanque R$63.50, c/ 2 tanques R$77, Nitrox add R$21.50/tanque, full gear rental (5mm) add R$37.

- Parcel Dive Center <www.parcel.com.br> tel 3284-5564, Av. Luiz B. Piazza 3257, Cachoeira do B. Jesus, Floripa. Alta temporada 15Dec-15Mar.

I hope it helps.

Apollo: Muito obrigada para teu ajudar. I have the websites for those 2 operators. I think Parcel has the smaller boat so I was thinking of concentrating on them. Your pix are way cool! I love turtles. My local lake has visibility closer to 1-m so anything is an improvement on that. I've just got to keep in mind I am comparing to home and not Cozumel :wink:

Hi there!

Opposite to what Apollo, I had a good experience in Arvoredo. I went there last March and got warm water (about 22.C), good viz and lots of sea turtles to see. I went with the SeaDivers crew (since they were recommended by my local diveshop) and they were all really nice people.

thevalkyry, if you're staying in Floripa you just have to consider that the southern states have suffered some tropical storm damage - therefore, the viz might not be that good. Anyways, Arvoredo is worth a day of diving.

...if you're staying in Floripa you just have to consider that the southern states have suffered some tropical storm damage...

Hi, sorry to jump in like this but, about the damages inflicted by the storms, I'd really recommend taking a look at the on line versions of brazilian newspapers for the latest information about the flood in the Itajai Valley and it's consequences for tourism in northern Santa Catarina state. Although the info I have from Floripa (got relatives there) is that the city itself didn't suffer so much, there are restrictions for supplies, since there are still roadblocks along the main highway leading to Floripa from the southeast, making the transport of goods difficult and slow.

The info I have about diving off Bombinhas is that the temp is lower than in Rio and, with the sandy bottom they have there, just like we do here in Rio, tides, winds, weather and currents do have influence on visibility: it can be 3 meters one day and 15 meters on the following day, just to close again to 5 m on the next, and so on... there is a saying here about visibility: "you should have been here yesterday, great vis, great dives...", so if you're going diving in Brazil's south and southeastern regions, the best day to go is always "yesterday" :wink:

But, if your standards are like you wrote, you will surely have a lot of fun anyway!!!

Nice dives, and happy holidays!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom