Vacation To Ambergris Caye, Belize: Spoiled For $10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Perhaps my situation with Ambergris Divers was unusual enough that other people have not chimed in to say this did (or did not) also happen to them. Most people travel in small enough groups that they take whatever rate is offered. Your choice is typically "take it or leave it". I suppose the only people in a position to post that this also (or didn't) happened to them, would be people who bring their own large group... large enough to negotiate some non-standard deal. In fairness to Karen, except for the $10 park fee (and the room negotiation for my brother ... in which I was not involved ...and since those negotiations all took place before the trip, I view in a different light) it seems people paid what they agreed to pay, and got (mostly) what they were supposed to get.

(There was also a minor dispute over our non-alcoholic drinks at our hotel. The pre-trip agreement was that a non-alcoholic drink was include with meals. At check-out, our hotel billed us for Cokes from the bar. I didn't fuss with the hotel or Karen about those charges, although they added up to about $16. It seemed that could have been an honest mis-communication. The Blue Hole trip was a deal negotiated in front of me, and an assortment of divers. I got to hear what both sides in the negotiation said, and what was finally agreed. At least 4 of the divers on the dock recalled the deal as including all fees. Most of our group said they weren't paying attention, and didn't care about the dollar amount. Only Karen remembers that the final price would not include the $10.)

So I'm interested. Has anyone else negotiated a "special" price with Ambergris divers, and then had that deal change after you thought it was final?

I had some divers recently who experienced a short delay being returned to their hotel after their (trouble-free) dives were over, due to engine failure. I apologised, and remarked that the return trip was complementary anyway (they were diving from town but staying several miles away). That rebounded on me as a statement that I had offered to give them all their dives free, which I certainly hadn't intended. With the best of intentions, sometimes there isn't a meeting of minds.

Rev. Blade,
Did you hear anything further from Karen Canul? I see one reply from her in this post, and wondered if you sorted this out in private messages or email? I did a search of the forum for Ambergris Divers. I found a few posts from people who liked the operation, some who mentioned they used Ambergris Divers without saying they did or didn't like it, and a few who seemed unsatisfied.

Your post seemed to be the least satisfied that I saw.

Rev. Blade,
Did you hear anything further from Karen Canul? I see one reply from her in this post, and wondered if you sorted this out in private messages or email? I did a search of the forum for Ambergris Divers. I found a few posts from people who liked the operation, some who mentioned they used Ambergris Divers without saying they did or didn't like it, and a few who seemed unsatisfied.

Your post seemed to be the least satisfied that I saw.

I have not heard anything further from Karen, or anyone else from Ambergris Divers. It seems she joined the forum to make one post. From the tone of her post, you could deduce that she is not interested in trying to satisfy me, or my brother's family over what was truely a petty sum of money.

In fairness to their shop, I would like to re-state that I was happy with the dive operation, including staff, boats, and service (with the notable exception of a $10 argument for me ...and some other financial challenges that my brother mentioned in his entries to this post.) I see a much more current post about Ambergris Divers that states the forum member got a refund for some dives that A.D. may have been very much within their rights to keep the money.

The next time I'm going to Belize, I'll plan to use another dive operation. My expectation is that I would not be welcomed at Ambergris Divers.

Please refer to my post "Good experience with Ambergris Divers in San Pedro" in this forum. I have nothing but praise for AD and Karen, particularly on the way they quoted prices, negotiated and their flexibility to deal with special situations that involved money matters.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom