I'm ready to go retro, double hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey, don't we have "The Boss" on the ground now in Tampa, we could send him by for some hose cutting :eyebrow:. I know he just got that compressor which cost as much as 1.1 HU (Harley Units, 25,000 USD) and it is full dress chrome with dual exhaust. Apparently the local shops gave him a hassle with his tanks, that was a mistake, :rofl3:.

Captain, I hope you are above water down there?

Nem

Above water is the problem, damm hurricanes are keeping from diving.

LOL, Nemrod (not Nimrod) is a little bit like that, with the high horse and all, only just; but you sir, are a mega fool if you think that psycho babble passes for knowledge. Now fess up, are you a democrat?? Gotta be (Don't disappoint me, now).
sincerely,
mega pesky

Why am I not surprised by your attitude and comments? My experiance on forums similar to this one seem to feature what I call "mega posters". These types of individuals tend to think of themselves as superior to the average poster and feels the need to position themselves as an "expert" on a particular topic, happily posting away pearls of wisdom that the lowly forum members should take as true information-as though it came from God himself.

The reality of a "mega poster", is quite different, as numerous studies have shown. The "mega poster", turns out to possess an insecure personality that needs to bolster his weak self image by inundating forums with his "holiness". When another member questions his credibility, or disagrees with something he has posted, the "mega poster", lashes out in a juvenile fashion at the offending forum member (as he has done above), hoping to intimidate the member into submission, thereby reestablishing his position (in his mind anyway), as an irreproachable expert and King. His posting count is his basis for his credibility and is there for all to see and submit to. The forum he posts in "belongs" to him. He has earned the right to scold, insult and castigate anyone he feels is threatening his status or opinions in the forum. Never forget that he owns the forum and is the expert, know it all and he cannot be doubted, laughed at or made fun of. He will strike out at the offender and will hope that other posters back him up, thereby justifying (in his mind), that he did the right thing. It is very important to this individual that he receive this all important reinforcement from others as his self-esteem is derived from the approval of others, not from within himself.

You need to get out of your illusionary Ivory Tower and get a life there, Nimrod. :D

LOL, Nemrod (not Nimrod) is a little bit like that, with the high horse and all, only just; but you sir, are a mega fool if you think that psycho babble passes for knowledge. Now fess up, are you a democrat?? Gotta be (Don't disappoint me, now).
sincerely,
mega pesky

Actually he sounds more like a republican to me. Say nothing of substance, just attack the character of others and complain about how they are treating you without respect. :D:D:D

That Freedom plate does look good...it looks almost as good as the vintage back pack.

That is what I started out doing with my BP/wings but now I just set them to achieve horizontal trim as I would for any rig. Once horizontal the old high or low tank position issue seems to go away.

Instead of mounting the STA low I do the Nemrod Mod to my DiveRite STA which drops the upper band allowing plenty of room to lower the tank as low as you like if that is your game.

Nemrod Mod:

DSCF0269.jpg

Oxy Mach V 30 on Hammerhead plate:

DSCF0250.jpg

Oxy Mach V on Freedom Plate:

DSCF0213.jpg

Oxy Mach V 18 on Oxy ultra light plate:

DSCF0171.jpg

O ring D rings:

DSCF0169.jpg

Modified Sea Tec compared to Mach V:

DSCF0136-1.jpg

The new Oxy ultra light plate sets the tank as close to the back as is possible, as close even as a simple Sea Hunt harness. It requires no STA with the newer Oxy wings but a STA could be used if wanted. It allows for a wide range of tank position.

Yes, I am a mega poster and my intention is to be the number one poster but I will need to make about 6,000 more posts to catch up to DA and TsandM. :). So I gotta get cracking. I got yer lipstick right here.:rofl3:

Wings are the thing, that is if your going to use a BC. Could not imagine using anything else, well, now that I mention it, I have not. Been using a wing since the late 70s. Back plates and simple Hog one piece harness have always been retro, now they are modern, whatever people think.

82350209_o.jpg

Since rebreathers are DOUBLE HOSE shouldn't they be in the Sea Hunt forum?

N

That Freedom plate does look good...it looks almost as good as the vintage back pack.

Actually the newest Freedom Plate is even better - sets up and feels like an old plastic back pack, only more stable. Only weighs 2.5 lbs.

I think Eric designed it to work with Double Hose Regs. It can easily be used without a wing for those times you can dive with total minimalism.

Thanks again guys,

Nemrod, DA, Luis you guys rock! I am activly looking for a PRAM,a DA Aqua-master, or a Royal and when I find one of these beauties I'll get it worked up by VDH and then I'am go'in diving. I have been learning much form your various postings and I thank you for knowledge. Nemrod, I have a Healthways cam pack just like the one in the add you posted. I dove with it back in the 70s, glad I hung on to it. I'll keep you guys posted when I score, hopefully soon.

Later guys,
TG

Tahoeguy, congrats on the Healthways pack, those are nice.

The Freedom Plate I have is a one and only, it was made I was told as an experiment. It is not the unit that was being sold before. I really like the way it fits my Mach V perfect and sits so close to my back--no--it is not vintage but it has vintage lineage an as I might point out--this thread was originally not in the vintage Sea Hunt forum. Vintage is OK, lol, but many times I just want to dive fully modern with a PRAM. The Oxy ultra light plate shown is virtually invisible in use and even more minimal.

As to the other it was his argument that was swine, not he, a person can put lipstick on a bad argument (argument used as a thesis for discussion) but if the argument is like a pig, then it is still a pig, just with lipstick and still therefore stinks. That argument being that double hose regulators cannot be used below 100 feet. Obviously since most of us dive them well below 100 feet something is amiss in that oinker of an argument.

N

That argument being that double hose regulators cannot be used below 100 feet. Obviously since most of us dive them well below 100 feet something is amiss in that oinker of an argument.

N

Good Point Nemrod, also were not the first regs dove on the Andrea Doria Double Hoses (USD or Voit?), which sits a bit deeper than 100ft.

And let us never forget that the first exploratory SCUBA dives into Wakulla were done with double hose regs. In the mid 50's a team of divers from Florida State University did more than 200 accident free dives. They were using USD DA regs with double tanks, no SPG, and "homemade" lights.

Most of the photographs that I have seen from these endeavors also show the majority of divers wearing nothing but t-shirts and a swimsuit. They were routinely diving to 225' on air, and reached a linear penetration of just short of 1,000'. While making these dives, they recovered many fossils from the ice age. Mastodon jaws, bones, and spearheads were among the items recovered. Their lift bags consisted of plastic bags tucked inside of cotton pillowcases. "Safety" equipment consisted of a couple of extra 72 tanks lying in the cavern zone opening at around 160-180'.

Most of the dives required around 45 minutes of deco, and those were done on the USN air tables.

Those were true pioneers, and to think not one single deco accident throughout the entire operation. As a wise mountain man once said: "Them boys had a real set on em'."

Now, who said something about DH regs not working well below 75'?

Greg Barlow

Back
Top Bottom