What's in a name???

Renaming the Sea Hunt Era forum - what would you like? Multiple choices possible.

• Vintage and Classic SCUBA Diving

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Vintage and Classic Skin and SCUBA Diving

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Vintage Scuba & Skin Diving

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Vintage Scuba & Skin Diving, Then and Now

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Vintage Diving- Then and Now

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Vintage Skin Diving- Then and Now

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Vintage Equipment Diving Community

Votes: 11 42.3%
  • No change

Votes: 4 15.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have not a clue as to what classic diving is? I know what the vintage era is but what is classic and what defines it? Seem to be getting far afield.

The original going "going retro" thread and his requiremnt for LP and HP made me think there was the intention to use the PRAM with modern gear, I still contend that thread was just fine in the original General forum before it was moved and hidden away. A thread involving essentially tech diving but with a double hose regulator still would not be at home in a classic forum.

Double Hose Era---vintage diving equipment, techniques, community -- or something like that makes more sense than "classic" diving. It don't really matter to me, whatever y'all like is good, my virtual dive shop is vdh and vss.

N

The original going "going retro" thread and his requiremnt for LP and HP made me think there was the intention to use the PRAM with modern gear, I still contend that thread was just fine in the original General forum before it was moved and hidden away. A thread involving essentially tech diving but with a double hose regulator still would not be at home in a classic forum.

N

Hi Nemrod

The thread you are referring about was moved by justleesa…I think she thought she was doing it a favor, not hiding it. I agree that it was a mistake, but I don’t think she intended to hide it…that is just my opinion.

It could be "Vintage and Classic Diving". Most would assume we would be talking about Scuba somewhere in there! :D

Hi Nemrod

The thread you are referring about was moved by justleesa…I think she thought she was doing it a favor, not hiding it. I agree that it was a mistake, but I don’t think she intended to hide it…that is just my opinion.

I understand all that and I am staying with what I said, this is not the first time this has happened including with a thread you and I discussed via email or phone (don't remember) once some time back. I know that justleesa was not intending harm or malice--of course not---that still does nothing to address the problem that several threads have been killed by moving them. I am asking to stop doing that to every thread that a double hose regulator is mentioned in and especially when the discussion involves current diving platforms as well or in addition to vintage. Yes, justleesa was certainly not intending harm and she is not the only moderator that has moved similar threads. My comments are directed in general--thus I never named any particular person because it is a generalized (and relatively small) problem over a long period of time.

As to the classic idea, like I said, whether it is one of the suggested forum names you or NetDoc or others have come up with, they all sound good to me and would be an improvement over the somewhat nebulous Sea Hunt sub forum. Yes, I agree, you guys are onto a good plan.

Nobody is getting in a fuss, I thought we were just doing some brainstorming so as to get it right the first time and review why this particular thread came up to begin with--confusion as to where a topic belonged. I find classic somewhat confusing but if it makes sense to y'all then good deal. :cool2: In any brainstorming session it will take a while to bat around some ideas and think them over, same thing here. Concise and to the point is always a good plan.

I am in enemy territory in Pennsylvania at the moment and must venture out to aquire food. Why don't y'all hash it out and if I can find and identify the new forum I will check it out assuming I survive my foraging attempts amongst these yankees :wink:.

N

I gotta agree with N, I don't know what classic refers to other than in the automotive field. How about Vintage Scuba & Skin Diving, Then and Now,

I gotta agree with N, I don't know what classic refers to other than in the automotive field. How about Vintage Scuba & Skin Diving, Then and Now,

I actually like that suggestion a lot.

“Vintage Scuba & Skin Diving, Then and Now”

As I mentioned above, I like the “Skin Diving” name and I think the addition of the “Then and Now” is a good one.

Thanks

"Free Diving" has had definitions which have changed through the history of diving.

SCUBA diving was originally known as "free diving" (along with other names) since the diver was no longer tethered to surface air (i.e. "hard hat diving"). Today, "free diving" means breath-hold diving, "free" from the encumberance of SCUBA. Since this term is ambiguous, maybe it should be avoided as far as a new vintage diving title.

"Skin diving", as far as I have been able to determine, is a very loose term which encompassed diving whether with or without a lung, or SCUBA, and included both what we now know as "free diving" (breath-hold diving) and what was then known as "free diving" (SCUBA diving). While also somewhat ambiguous, "skin diving" is a term which was commonly used for our sport but has been lost somewhere in history. It would be nice to see it resurrected here.

As this is "SCUBA Board", use of the term SCUBA is redundant.
So, how about
"Vintage Diving- Then and Now",
or "Vintage Skin Diving- Then and Now"?

Last edited:
I get busy for a few days, and now I find myself lucky to find anything still here. I like the old name and place.
Aloha Turtleguy9

"Classic" was my suggestion, an attempt to cover gear that's never been out of production since the early days, and still made by a few manufacturers the same way as it used to be made by all manufacturers, e.g. Scubapro's Jetfins, Cressi's Pinocchio mask, Aquala's historical drysuit. It was just a thought.

I like Duckbill's suggestion, "Vintage Skin Diving - Then and Now". The term "skin diving", if the older manuals are anything to go by, covered both scuba and breath-hold diving in its day. I believe the "skin" bit was intended to distinguish the activity from the traditional "hard-hat" image of the diver in a heavy suit with lead-weighted boots, air supplied from a surface pump. The British equivalent of "skin diving" is "sub-aqua" or "underwater swimming", emphasising how "hard-hat" divers' mobility was confined to descending to, walking on, and ascending from, the sea bed, while breath-hold and scuba divers' mobility meant that they could swim as freely as other creatures in the aquatic environment. No doubt the original meaning of "free diving", mentioned by Duckbill, probably derived from the French "plongée libre", was similar, signalling diving unencumbered by air lines from the surface, a heavy suit and lead boots.

" Vintage Equipment Diving Community"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom