So Many Islands......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deb66

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Help. We're planning a trip to the Bahamas in July. Which island offers the best diving with the least amount of cruise ship traffic? Is the diving equal on all the islands? Where are the best shark encounters? Any insight would be appreciated!!!

I did the Stuart Cove's (New Providence/Nassau) shark dive thing and really enjoyed it, despite my philosophical reservations. I love the Bahamas and have done a fair bit of sailing there, but that is the extent of my diving experience. Well, actually I did do a reef dive off Green Turtle Cay many years ago but don't remember enough about it to make a good recommendation.

Have fun regardless!
Lilla

Help. We're planning a trip to the Bahamas in July. Which island offers the best diving with the least amount of cruise ship traffic? Is the diving equal on all the islands? Where are the best shark encounters? Any insight would be appreciated!!!

I've been to the Bahamas on 4 different trips. We've been to Nassau, Freeportx2, and Eluthera, I would suggest going to Turks & Caicos as they are on the end of the Bahamas chain. You will have excellent diving, as I believe that diving with Caicos Adventures out of Provo is second only to Little Cayman and we've been on plenty of trips. Grace Bay beach is the best Caribbean beach we've ever seen.
Image056.jpg

Image009.jpg

If you want land-based, I'd try San Salvador. Excellent wall diving and plenty of sharks to be seen, including hammerheads sometimes. We liked Riding Rock Inn but there is a Club Med there too. Some Americans stay at Club Med but dive with RR.

I just got back from diving with Stuart's Cove too. I really had a nice experience with them although I must say, I was disappointed in the lack of fish we saw in that area. We did see sharks even on dives when we didn't do the feed. We had three dives no sharks, then we went to The Ray of Hope/Bahama Mama wrecks and there were ten carribean reefs that came in. Also we dove a portion of the wall with sharks. At the feed we had 30+ sharks. The reefs are beautiful but where were all the fish??? I heard the Exhumas were nice but I have never been out there personally.

best diving in the Bahamas is done to the more remote sites which can only be done by liveaboards. Check out Nekton Cruises > Home and Scuba Diving Bahamas Liveboard Aqua Cat

The Nekton leaves from Ft. Lauderdale and has 3 different itineraries for Bahamas - NW Bahamas (goes up around Grand Bahama and Bimini), Medio Reef (goes south from Bimini), and Cay Sal Bank (south from Bimini and then west of Medio, best shark encounters). We have done both the Medio and Cay Sal trips and thought they were fantastic. Lots and lots of sharks and turtles, 4-5 dives per day, great fun and relaxing! No cruise ships or tourists anywhere in sight for a week!
see my trip reports:
http://www.rnrscuba.net/NektonCaySal.html
and
http://www.rnrscuba.net/NektonRorqual_TripReport.html
Medio reef trip videos: Robin Tackett's Nekton trips album on Vimeo

The AquaCat leaves from Nassau and goes east. There are lots of videos on YouTube showing the boat and what their trips entail. We haven't done that trip but reports I have read sound equally good. Being able to get in 4-5 dives per day for 5 days and having all meals prepared and served to you. Ahhhh, that is a vacation.

robin:D

I've been to the Bahamas on 4 different trips. We've been to Nassau, Freeportx2, and Eluthera, I would suggest going to Turks & Caicos as they are on the end of the Bahamas chain. You will have excellent diving, as I believe that diving with Caicos Adventures out of Provo is second only to Little Cayman and we've been on plenty of trips. Grace Bay beach is the best Caribbean beach we've ever seen.
Image056.jpg

Image009.jpg

I will second that. The diving is great by Carribean standards. More sharks than the Caymans. One of the prettiest beaches in the world....

Thanks for all the great info!!! So, will we see as many sharks in Turks & Caicos? Our last few dive trips have been mostly macro, which we love, but now we're looking for the big stuff.

Back
Top Bottom