Big Bay Point gets two new wrecks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dove this again last Wed and the vis is improving. We had 15 - 20 feet at the time, and that was with the sun going down.

If you follow the main line out (it is just off the end of the pier) you'll see a line that runs off to the right (this leads to the older boat, maybe a 5 min swim). If you continue down the main line you'll hit the 2 new boats at around 35 - 40 feet, hard to miss them. I've been further down the line to 70 ft and there are several misc. objects to see along the way.

There is a bit of boat traffic but most of it is further out in the bay, I've been to BBP 3 times now and have never seen a boat actually use the dock. BBP is also a popular training site, so if you can make it up for an early morning dive it will be that much better for you.

No offense Scubanooob but you should be very cautious when giving out such information as your description of the boat traffic is incorrect to say the least.

Have you ever heard about Aviva Barth?
No? Well, she was a scuba student that was killed by a boat at BBP during her course. This happened in spite of multiple flags in the water. Here's a link to her story. The OUC has a memorial program started in her name.

I was personally present when a boater maneuvered recklessly between divers bobbing in the water in order to dock. When asked why he has done it, his answer was: "I don't give a ****, this is a dock and I'm entitled to dock here"

I was also in the water when the propeller of an engine went 30cm (1 foot) above the head of one of my team mates. This was a very close call and it happened in close proximity to the dock.

Seriously, this location is extremely dangerous and extreme caution should be exercised when diving there.
When submerged, it should be considered an overhead environment and surfacing should be done as close as possible to the dock or shore, which means that you should be hugging the ground when coming in or going out.
IMO, running OW (and maybe even AOW) courses at this location is highly inappropriate as not only it's detrimental to the safety of the students but also not very helpful with the locals who are pretty annoyed with the hoards of divers.

aquaoren,

I had heard about that incident but not in detail. Thanks for the link (a good website I didn't know about, thx).

You have obviously spent much more time at BBP than myself. I guess I have been fortunate to dive there without any boaters around.

I can add a bit to this briefing. There is a line that runs from the east corner of the dock. The site layout is north is down to depth. You can follow the line out along the flats. It crops off a moderately hill and connect to a string of 3 logs. At 30' there is the remains of a Barrie Examiner newspaper box. Here there is a line heading east. This heads about 60 kick cycles and turns into a blue wire - follow this to a 16' fiberglass boat.
Back at the main line go past 30' to 35'+/- there is a west line which heads past some gnomes and a duck deco. Staying heading north on the main line the 2 boats in question are at 40' - 1 faces south - the other faces east and is off the port side of the first. Carrying on down, you will see some tanks, a metal statue, a toy boat. At 60' & a few kicks east is anold snowmobile. You will also find a tricycle, bicycle, a toilet.
Just remember after 60' the stuff to see is limited & the slope to greater depths is very little so its a long cold dark swim. In bad viz just obey your compass (south is up hill & home ), swim with the hill on your right and your going east, hill on your left and your going west.
Have a good dive. Take an extra tank and head over to the morrison.

The boating traffic in this area has become heavier over the years with all the folk moving from Toronto up to Barrie and the surrounding areas. This is not rocket science make sure you have your buoyancy under control keep your self low while traveling from the dock to the slope and do not surface from deep water unless you have an up line or if its a stressed out emergency. I've been diving Big bay for 20 years and installed the very first lines off the dock years back when no one dove this site. There have been over 9 divers killed off this dock in diving accidents. it has always been a bad spot for new scuby doers who go to deep and get them selves lost at depth in dark water keep your self safe and dive to your trained ability and just because there is a line to 80 feet doesn't mean your ready to travel it.

Back
Top Bottom