Halcyon Prouduction, DIR, and ironic facts of life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jarrod,

Welcome to the board! Because of this board and a few specific members, I am a happy owner of a 27lb Halcyon Pioneer Wing, SS BP, 5' primary, 22" secondary...and a couple other DIR related equipment.

I have not taken a DIR-F class yet, but I am extremely happy with how I feel in the water with the Halcyon equipment. I am still working out some minor adjustments, but I am enjoying getting use to it.

Without this board, I would not be diving this equipment right now. I hope you understand the value of a board like this is, in relation to your business and fundamental goals as a teacher.

Hopefully you'll find the time to stop by and contribute to the board.

Jason

For the record, we have verified that the poster in question is in fact Jarrod Jablonski.

Roak

Mverick once bubbled...
Hmmm...

No arogance or name callin... I'd say he's a business man... And a good one at that...

A courteous poster doesn't equate he is a good businessman.

Sure I think Jarrods is a real nice guy as well.

And guys, when you have a problem with the after sales service, try to get the name of that guy. And post his name here, so that Halcyon can get to the bottom of it. If he refuses to give his name, submit the number and time of call. (There is this thing called a work roster). Help Jarrod weed out the bad nuts in his company, he is running not only one business, but 3! He has mentioned that he has about 40 workers and pays them very well! Definitely, Jarrod does not want to pay them well to get customers mad at Halcyon.

And as for me, I WILL NEVER BUY A SINGLE PIECE OF HALCYON HERE!!!
Simply because the local representative (read Distributor, sole agent...) in Singapore is so cocky and proud that they simply just condemn everything else.. (for names please PM me).

If DIR is a supreme club where only snobs can join. Fine by me, you do what you do best.
But when you are trying to sell me something, don't tell me that using some other make of equipment is looking for death and all the other divers are always getting into sticky situations because of the equipment. This simply turns me off, period.

Anyway, there are other equipment manufacturers out there who makes good stuff as well.

:)

(With reference to my previous post.)

So you see, Jarrod. It is not only the Halcyon in the States that is suffering from this problem. Even on the tiny Island in Asia, we get this problem as well. Is it something in your book(s) that cultivates this attitude?

And let me share something with you, I dont care if all or some of your stuffs are made in the States. If it is of high quality, it can be from any country at all and I will still buy it. Even if it is from China.

You definitely have to look into this, it is either you clean up your company's act or else you meant to condone them (the rude customer services).

Or you could do a major sellout to the large MNCs, they will definitely look into the "problematic" customer service.

And your "fixed price" is a PITA.

You have to ask yourself. you are in it for the profits or for the recognition? If it is for the recognition, tidy up your customer service and tighten up your production QC. If it is for the profits (you already know where this is going)... you can't win them all.
But since you posted here, there is no way out. You gotta clean up your act.

Or do a sellout.

It is never easy to run a business.

Ask yourself this question:
If someone gave you 10 million dollars tomorrow with no strings attached. WOULD YOU STILL BE DOING WHAT YOU ARE DOING TODAY?
:)

Thank you all for your comments. I appreciate your welcoming me into your community and respect those of you with frustrations. In fact, I greatly sympathize with anger towards companies that seem to treat one poorly. I have, on many occasions, been the victim of such unfortunate events. When I started these companies I was determined to use my frustration over bad customer service and unethical corporate choices as a foundation on which to build. I remain committed to those ideals and, therefore, extend a heartfelt apology to those of you that we have failed. I doubt that these relationships can be repaired but I promise my sincere effort.

Ironically, while running these companies (in particular manufacturing under Halcyon) I have become a much more sympathetic customer. Of course, I still get angry but I now appreciate the significant complications in many interactions. For example the "staple" holes represented by a couple people are unquestionably unusual. Consider that we do test every single wing before it leaves the factory. Also consider that we use no staples in shipping our product. Based upon this information it seems likely that the wings were damaged by someone outside Halcyon's control. To be sure, there have been some occasions where we have warranted the wing and others in which we have not.

I agree with the assertion that a response to such situations should be consistent. Given that we do not believe ourselves responsible (in the objective we did it capacity) that is not a trivial directive. People are human and thus subject to a great many variables when making decisions. We try to be be very fair, assuming the customer is correct and strive to blame our product or processes in an assessment. We also rely on our dive shops to assist in this regard. They are the one's interacting with the customer.

You should know that Halcyon employees are not financially penalized or rewarded for warranty decisions. They are also the people that have to tell a sometimes rather angry customer that they can't cover a particular product. In other words you might imagine that they prefer to replace the product where a sense of fairness allows them to do so. Unfortunately a second hand wing has been through too many potential hands (however new) to be likely qualified even in a liberal interpretation. I feel badly for the angry gentleman and sympathetic toward his position so I will contact him directly after some consideration. There are some oddities in his case and in particular to the amount that he was charged that bear more investigation.

Speaking to the general issue of the Pioneer reliability please bear in mind that the failures are rather low or we would not keep making the wing. I made the first single tank bladder wing more than two years ago so options abound. All in all, the pioneer has been a remarkable wing. Some of you speak to what seems like a significant frequency of failures. However, I count three or four comments while we have sold thousands of wings over more than ten years. If each person who had a wing that worked flawlessly was also posting then we would have a lot of email and fair representation. As a general rule people understandably come forward with problems but they quietly enjoy good fortune. This is not an excluse for failed product but should be kept in perspective.

Of course, a single piece of fabric will never be as resilient as two of similar integrity. Therefore, people have been asking for some time about getting a single tank wing similar to the Pioneer that was built with a bladder. The Eclipse wing is designed to fill that request. It was initially released in the UK because we chose to have it CE approved and forgo the time and expense of CE testing for the Pioneer wings. They did, however, jump the gun a bit in their release<G>.

For good housekeeping purposes a few quick answer to other questions- the DIR series was completely redone and is going to be released in a triple DVD set totalling more tan ten hours. It will be out by the end of the year (probably Nov). As for my identify I am who I am. It seems wasteful to reply to multiple private questions challenging my identify<G>

Good Diving,
Jarrod

Scubaroo once bubbled...
ScubaBoard is pleased to confirm that the post is genuinely from Jarrod Jablonski - it was checked.

Hmm,

Never got my email, but I guess I can take your guys word for it:

My sincereist aplogogy to Mr. Jablonski.

James

I would also like to welcome you, and say how much I enjoyed my copy of your DIR-F book. I am in the process of reconfiguring my gear and methods in anticipation of taking the DIR-F class in the near future.

I will be among the first to order the DVD set, and would be grateful if you'd notify us as soon as it's available.

Regards,

Scott

Since, as the saying goes bad news travels faster than good news, I should put in a word for the good news side...

I have a bunch of Halcyon products, including four wings that I am very happy with. I've had a Pioneer 18lb since '98 which works flawlessly and I use constantly for aquarium diving and the occasional trip to Cozumel.

I have had two problems, for one of them I was contacted by Robert Carmichael (sp?) himself, but because I was unable to duplicate the problem, we dropped it. The second problem was taken care of immediately and without delay -- I was shipped a replacement for the failed part.

I do not exclusively own Halcyon gear (three FredT BPs, for instance), though when I started out Halcyon was about the only player out there for the gear I wanted to purchase so I do own quite a bit of it. I'm not brand loyal, but quality loyal and I have been quite happy with Halcyon's quality, and in the case of a failure, Halcyon's customer service.

The fact that wing and BP makers out there are increasing in number is a huge testament to what Halcyon and GUE has/is doing to the market, especially on the recreational side. The recreational community is slowly waking up to the existence of the BP&Wing, something that wasn't happening when OMS and DiveRite were the only large players out there.

If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, I think JJ should be quite flattered.

Welcome to the file.

Roak

But if it IS a sock puppet, my money is on Sea Jay.

When I read this I thought I might have to vouch for him but Scubaroo verified it. LOL

That's a good one though. I think he would be flattered that you would think he could pull it off. HAHAHAHA R

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom