Stop diving?!?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

firerescue434

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
alright, so i went to the doctor yesterday because my ear was giving me some trouble, it has been a week since my last dive. When i told the doc. i was a diver his response was that i had Barotitis, which is an inflammation of the ear caused by pressure change due to diving or flying. I asked him what i could do since this has been the 2nd time this has happen in 2 months, and his response to me was "stop diving" That was not at all what i wanted to hear. Has anyone had any problems with this? Someone please help me out because i DO NOT want to stop diving!!! but i can't keep getting ear infections either that's not good on the ears. Any advice?!

Last edited:
I dont know anything about medicine, but I would find a Dr that is a Diver as well. They tend to be a little for understanding about these things and give some options.

An infection caused by pressure changes??

Last I checked, an infection is a condition caused by an organism.

Find an ENT that's familiar with diving....check out DAN for some suggestion. Definitely don't take a single opinion as gold, especially if diving is something that you really enjoy doing.

sorry nudediver, let me clarify. Barotitis is an inflammation of the ear due to pressure change, but i have had 2 ear infections after diving, not sure if these go together, sorry for the poor wording.

I agree with the above posts to call DAN. I had fluid behind my ear drums the first two times that I dove. The first time I went to the dr. and he just told me to wait it out and not dive for 6 weeks. I called DAN after that appt. and they gave me a few other options to help out. They know their stuff, and I trust their advise. Also, if you are having trouble equalizing and that is contributing to your problems, there is a link that has been posted (can't remember which it is) that is about equalizing that may help.

Do you use a drying agent (swim ear or similar) ?

If I dive our local lake without drying my ears afterwards they WILL hurt the next day

An infection caused by pressure changes??
Last I checked, an infection is a condition caused by an organism.

I'm sure Lynne and some of our other physicians will chime in here.

However, it's my understanding that these pressure equalization problems/changes can force nasty stuff into where they're not supposed to go. Infections can ensue. This is one reason why so many people have come out in strong support of regular saline rinses.

Back
Top Bottom